London SE1 community website

SE 1........Used To Be Brilliant....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 20 of 22
Thursday 9 October 2008 9.57am
Does that mean I need a passport to get to The Rose ?
Thursday 9 October 2008 2.54pm
Crosby34 wrote:
Does anyone know where does Bermondsey ends and Borough begins?
Calvin Klein might ;0)

Seriously, I think you used to be able to tell by whether you could get a moccafrappucapuchocaskinnylattewithacherryonthetop or not, but now they're everywhere.

Seriously (no, really seriously), I've always thought that there was somewhere between Bermondsey and Borough. I don't know what I'd call it, but if you say that the Western border of Bermondsey is Bermondsey St, then I'd say that Borough doesn't start until you get to somewhere around the western end of Long Lane. I'd always thought that there was a sort of wedge (that I'd called London Bridge/Guys Hosp.) that sat between Borough and Bermondsey.

That's just my thoughts though. I suppose you were looking for a "correct" answer.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 10 October 2008 12.01am
Thanks for the answers I remember seeing a map which I'm sure showed it neare the borough either Kipling st or Crosby Row. this was just after Bermondsey was absorbed into Southwark.
Friday 10 October 2008 12.27am
i can't believe anyone cares about all this... i mean seriously get a grip. the 'real bermondsey' doesn't exist - it's all transient, people, fashions, politics they all come and go. just worry about yourself and stop looking at and thinking about everyone around you. if you like it stay if you don't move. done. honestly. i'm moving to this area from another part of the country and the thing i liked about it most was the friendly, inclusive feel of it ... but am i wrong about that?
Friday 10 October 2008 7.26am
Congratulations on making a wonderful, wise decision...welcome!
Friday 10 October 2008 8.56am
we had the where does Bermondsey begin and end debate some time ago (years Perhaps??)and i think the old boundary was either Weston Street or Kipling Street or somewhere in between i seem to recall. Historically it is interesting to know but as for where you live today no it doesn't matter as long as it is SE1!!
Friday 10 October 2008 9.23am
phraze wrote:
i can't believe anyone cares about all this... i mean seriously get a grip. the 'real bermondsey' doesn't exist - it's all transient, people, fashions, politics they all come and go. just worry about yourself and stop looking at and thinking about everyone around you. if you like it stay if you don't move. done. honestly. i'm moving to this area from another part of the country and the thing i liked about it most was the friendly, inclusive feel of it ... but am i wrong about that?
I don't think anyone's getting worked up about it (possible exception of yourself). It's just a mildly amusing thing to think about.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 10 October 2008 11.01am
Amusing?!! You think this is FUNNY?!?!?

;)
Friday 10 October 2008 11.49am
And then of course there is the estate agent inspired Bermondsey Village which seems to encompass the area around Berdmondsey Street only
Friday 10 October 2008 1.43pm
Oh dear. Did I really just read all that? There a lot of interesting points there and some right old rubbish. Still a bunfight is always good for the mind and body.

Race? For me there's only one race - the rat race! Following on from that some discussion of class in these days is always refreshing despite the usual cliches people eventually wheel out - flats cap and dog or City-boy latte drinker.

This is still a very poor area and despite what regeneration is supposed to bring, the poor are getting poorer. In Southwark and elsewhere. When people talk of gentrification, it's good to bear that in mind. If you can do that, you'll see why people complain about changes to areas.
Current: 20 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions