London SE1 community website

SE 1........Used To Be Brilliant....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 21 of 22
Friday 10 October 2008 4.28pm
the 'real bermondsey' doesn't exist -Of course it does ,the Bermondsey you live in now ,is the ,real Bermondsey .The Bermondsey,i lived in,forty five years ago ,that was my real Bermondsey .
You see from my point of view we all live in the real Bermondsey ,in the past ,the present and the future
Mind i live in somerset now lol

DJM
Saturday 11 October 2008 1.02am
well however it all works out i can't wait to swap the ancient windy streets of edinburgh for the mucky streets of bermondsey/london bridge however gentrified they are.
f.
Saturday 11 October 2008 9.29am
Gentrification ?? or urban renewal?? its interesting the number of people who sneer at the first and champion the second. in my opinion the two words mean the same thing and it is what is happening all around us so get over it and enjoy living in this city
Saturday 11 October 2008 12.32pm
djmills wrote:
the 'real Bermondsey' doesn't exist - Of course it does, the Bermondsey you live in now, is the
real Bermondsey. The Bermondsey I lived in, forty five years ago, that was my real Bermondsey.
You see from my point of view we all live in the real Bermondsey, in the past, the present and the future

djmills - thanks, that was beautifully put!
Saturday 11 October 2008 4.39pm
boroughpaul wrote:
Gentrification ?? or urban renewal?? its interesting the number of people who sneer at the first and champion the second. in my opinion the two words mean the same thing and it is what is happening all around us so get over it and enjoy living in this city

My point was that it's easy to ask people to enjoy living all together. But if you don't have the cash to enjoy it, those all encompassing statements don't mean much.

If you have to question whether taking a bus to somewhere will cost too much money for you...
If you would like to sit and have a coffee out somewhere but can't afford a 2 cup...
If you have to think about every penny you spend before you spend it...

Well these questions might underlie why people might ask questions or make noises about urban renewal / gentrification.
Saturday 11 October 2008 4.58pm
SE1 hasn't changed that much. I saw three 'ansom cabs and a peeler today.

Saturday 11 October 2008 6.28pm
Brill, phoney .
Typical copper ,skiving lol

DJM
Saturday 11 October 2008 8.34pm
back to the original posting..se1 wasnt brilliant, it now is!!
Saturday 11 October 2008 9.40pm
Do you know what i love about this forum,i'll tell you .
It was started on the ,5th of April 2006 ,it is now 11th October 2008 .
The passion is still there ,the post give you the feelings of the real BERMONDSEY .
You should all be proud of yourselfs and your community ,god bless you all and look after my Bermondsey for me .
Oh ,and thank you Jack Carter ,for starting this back in 2006

DJM
Monday 13 October 2008 3.42pm
boroughpaul wrote:
back to the original posting..se1 wasnt brilliant, it now is!!

I wonder what wasn't brilliant that is now?

If you mean there's lots of new shops and restaurants and private housing. I don't personally view that as a success for such a mixed area.
Current: 21 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions