London SE1 community website

SE 1........Used To Be Brilliant....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 22 of 22
Monday 13 October 2008 11.04pm
Richard Stompidou wrote:
djmills wrote:
the 'real Bermondsey' doesn't exist - Of course it does, the Bermondsey you live in now, is the
real Bermondsey. The Bermondsey I lived in, forty five years ago, that was my real Bermondsey.
You see from my point of view we all live in the real Bermondsey, in the past, the present and the future

djmills - thanks, that was beautifully put!

I concur Richard, djmills hit the nail on the head with that comment. All things to all men. When I was a younger man in the late '70s, early '80s there were a plethora of pubs in Bermondsey where the "beautiful people" hung out. The Red Cow, in The Grange; The Victoria in Pages Walk; run by Johnny "Veg", Gilly's in Wilds Rents; run by Johnny's wife, Gilly would you believe; Sonnys in Grange Rd. The male clientele were almost exclusively 30-40 something dockers, or ex dockers as the docks were being phased out at that time, lightermen, black cab drivers, or "in the print." Everyone seemed reasonably affluent, the guys were well dressed, the girls all looked as if they had stepped off the cover of Vogue, the pubs were roaring, and not a chav in sight. That was my Bermondsey, I remember it fondly. It's not SO bad now, but it's I that have changed, demographics change, pubs close and never re-open, people get their entertainment from TV and home cinema etc. Bermondsey now is the real Bermondsey for the people who live there now, as djm says. Then, I lived in a council house off Southwark Park Rd. Now I live in a town house on the river, that's progress, I guess.
Tuesday 14 October 2008 5.14pm
I can remember Weekend nights used to start meeting up with my mates at Uncles or Gillys on to the Vic, the Fell then the Red Cow and end up at the Lil as that was open till 2 am.

I don't remember any of us looking like something out of Vogue though but I was a student back then so would not have had the money!
Tuesday 14 October 2008 11.24pm
dee dee wrote:
I can remember Weekend nights used to start meeting up with my mates at Uncles or Gillys on to the Vic, the Fell then the Red Cow and end up at the Lil as that was open till 2 am.
I don't remember any of us looking like something out of Vogue though but I was a student back then so would not have had the money!
I had forgotten about The Fellmongers, it was ran by Neville Axford who eventually took over The Ring in Blackfriars Rd. Sadly Neville is no longer with us. For some reason I can't place Uncle's although I have a feeling that it was in Spa rd. but I remember The Lilliput well enough. They played jazz in there and I couldn't stand it, but a girl I fancied wanted to meet me in there one night as her cousin was going to be there. Thinking with my hormones, for want of a better phrase, I stood for it. The things you did for lust !
We all used to end up in The Raymouth, that was open until 2.00 a.m. as well. It was a combination of the Last Chance saloon and grab-a -granny night ! Perhaps the Vogue assertion was my remembering life then with rose tinted glasses, but I'm sure that you were as smart as the rest of the girls Dee Dee. Funny to think that we were probably in the same pubs at the same time, happy days.
Wednesday 15 October 2008 1.50pm
I had a friend ,Tommy Axford, who lived in Crimscot street ,back in the fifties ,i wonder if he could be related to Neville Axford.
I recall there were brothers ,one named Derek,

DJM
Wednesday 15 October 2008 3.06pm
It was the smell of the pubs Tom for me in the /fifties/sixties/..or rather the excitement of getting ready for a Friday or Saturday night.

Petticoats had to be soaked in sugar water to stiffen them, shirtwaisters ironed, hair back combed within an inch of it's life, then the hair lacquer, squeezed out of little plastic bottles till your hair was rigid! Lashings of Evening in Paris or Laimant in a small black bottle with a spatula , you wiped the creamy perfume on with it. You walked in the pub smelling like a rose garden, and left smelling like an ashtray, and having spent five bob on 4 light an limes!
Wednesday 15 October 2008 5.34pm
Jan the old one wrote:
It was the smell of the pubs Tom for me in the /fifties/sixties/..or rather the excitement of getting ready for a Friday or Saturday night.
Petticoats had to be soaked in sugar water to stiffen them, shirtwaisters ironed, hair back combed within an inch of it's life, then the hair lacquer, squeezed out of little plastic bottles till your hair was rigid! Lashings of Evening in Paris or Laimant in a small black bottle with a spatula , you wiped the creamy perfume on with it. You walked in the pub smelling like a rose garden, and left smelling like an ashtray, and having spent five bob on 4 light an limes!
Your posting cracked me up Jan, I vaguely remember my ex wifes sister saying something years ago about sugar water and stiffening petticoats. BTW I now think that Uncle's was off TBR somewhere near the after hours drinker Southsides. The ashtray experience was worse for us non smokers I guess. It was the price you paid for a good night out. People used to ask me why I didn't smoke and my riposte would be, "I only ever got into alcohol and women, two out of three ain't bad!"
Friday 17 October 2008 7.47am
I'm glad you enjoyed that Tom..as regards the petticoats, you could also adapt your existing ones into sticky out ones by buying yards of stiff netting from East lane stalls,gathering it up in one continous running stitch and tacking it on; which could be a problem if that running stitch was ripped then you would trail yards of net which meant you had to run into the pubtoilets and disrobe, pulling the net off ( easy done with hand stitching) and then come out deflated leaving your netting behind!

Did you ever use the Pagoda? there used to be a potman (collector of glasses for you youngsters!) I think his name was Dave, he had grey hair which he dyed and a small bristly moustache which he liberally coated with black mascara!
Friday 17 October 2008 4.32pm
I can't make up my mind which part of brilliant SE1 I'll explore this weekend.
Current: 22 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions