London SE1 community website

SE 1........Used To Be Brilliant....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 22
Friday 7 April 2006 6.10pm
schnake wrote:
i'm sure this is a hoax.
nobody can be that ignorant. not even a pitbull owning white working class mill wall supporter.
nice stereotyping going on over the thread, so i thought i'd continue.

well. didn't carter chose well for this forum -in case it ain't a hoax- the right community to mess with.not.
entertaining and educating. interesting facts niall about the history of this part of town.

Thank you for proving i did indeed have a point with my original thread.

Funny how you can be racist toward white people yet if anyone said anything against ethnic people, you would all be up in arms.

Thank God there are some bods on here that have an open mind and can possibly see things from another point of view, even if they may not agree with everything i say.

Unlike bigoted, narrow minded racists like you.
Friday 7 April 2006 6.30pm
Jack Carter wrote:
Funny how you can be racist toward white people yet if anyone said anything against ethnic people, you would all be up in arms.

What on earth are "ethinc" people? "Ethnicity" refers to the clutural background of any people. The word has nothing intrinsically to do with skin color or whiteness or darkness.

I suggest you dont rush to fling stones so quickly - you yourself apparently see the world as "white" and and a big lump of "other", which IMO is pretty disturbing...
Friday 7 April 2006 6.50pm
Hey hey...kids, cool it. No need to be abusive. Not good form.
Friday 7 April 2006 6.58pm
Osamede wrote:
Jack Carter wrote:

What on earth are "ethinc" people? "Ethnicity" refers to the clutural background of any people. The word has nothing intrinsically to do with skin color or whiteness or darkness.

I suggest you dont rush to fling stones so quickly - you yourself apparently see the world as "white" and and a big lump of "other", which IMO is pretty disturbing...

Look at you lot getting all touchy because someone doesnt agree with your cosy little world

I used the term ethnic to make a point that if someone made such comments towards black people, asian people etc, people would be doing there nut about it. I used the collective term, ethnic minorities.............happy now?

Read a few more posts. Fella on the previous page wants people like me consigned to history eh?

I never knew how bigoted people are about the people that have lived in this area generations

It's like me moving to Chelsea and complaining about the banker types in the area.

Keep going lads, this is quality. SOME (not all) showing there true colours and proving that the new incomers to SE1, don't want scum like me living around them.

(Probably a Millwall season ticket holder with a big dog............lol!!...................good grief, Daily Mail bigtory at it's best)
Friday 7 April 2006 8.19pm
Jack, while there seems quite a bit of "Get Carter" going on here, you've stirred up a hornets' nest. Well done.

I've lived here for four years (I'm a refugee... economic, from north london) and i love it. I too shun the yuppie places in favour of 'dives' such as the Mangrove, sorry, Marigold. However, i often find that before the "locals" (white "working class" etc etc) know me they mark me down as A) a Toff or B), a poof. perhaps this is evidence of community? certainly clannishness.
Peace and love in da ghetto
Friday 7 April 2006 10.14pm
I must apologise.

In my quest for alliteration in my last post, I inadvertantly used a pejorative term for homosexual. No offence was intended by my carelessness.
Friday 7 April 2006 11.13pm
oh well, i moved into SE1 a year and a half ago. i'm a yuppie, i work in the city, i live in the jam factory, i go to 'pretentious' restaurants such as village east and i quite like bermondsey street... i'd also consider myself a liberal and a hypocrite (isn't everyone!). big deal! i don't feel guilty about it either. i live in SE1 because i think it's a cool area, the prices are reasonable (compared to most places in central london) and lots of things are happening.

i disagree with the term 'local'. at what point does someone officially achieve this status and therefore become someone who defines the 'soul' of the area. 10 years? exactly 2 family generations? whatever...

this is the 21st century. people move around a lot. people come from other countries. more of my friends and the people i work with are foreign than english. my girlfriend is taiwanese. it's great! that's why i love london - and that's part of the reason i find it so interesting. from my experience, the multi-cultural aspect of london is very successful and this is a great thing!

errrrr rant over...

Marcus
Friday 7 April 2006 11.18pm
Well, this is certainly an animated thread!

One question though: Jack, do you think multiculturalism is driving out the white working class people? I s that what you're saying?
Karen
Saturday 8 April 2006 7.36am
well said marcus...the voice of reason!
Saturday 8 April 2006 9.15am
Just to add this to the debate, here's an extract from Michael Collins book, The Likes of Us.
http://www.michaelcollins.info/Pages/Chapter.html
"... in the 1980s, in Southwark, there was rumour of revolt when the call went out for the muzzling of Staffordshire bull terriers."

Not just SE1, but London, Essex the whole country is changing and becoming more liberal about race and culture.

The changes that started in the 90s with the arrival of the Tate and redevelopment of areas is a good thing; the 70s-80s with it's bright pink shopping centre, high crime was probably a low point for the area. Everyone I speak to feels things are improving here, and gentrification is a good thing.

The SE1ers who've grown up here and familes stretch back generations will certainly benefit with better services and shops, but as happened in the late 60s they may also see it as an opportunity to sell up and move out to the suburbs. Perhaps this time around more will stay finding SE1 a better place live, and even get involved with it all so we don't make the same mistakes as they did in the 60s with the redevelopment.
Current: 9 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions