London SE1 community website

Crime in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 20 April 2006 5.52pm
Breaking into garages is REALLy worrying. And means that even though your bike is in a lock up it STILL must be chained or secured on top of that. But considering that people pay for garaging, this is most depressing. It sounds as if Blair's bike was stolen to order, honestly it's too disgusting for words. What DO we do?
Thursday 20 April 2006 6.55pm
Hi Ivanhoe, the bike was being wheeled away. It was parked outside the Dover Castle pub in Swan st. Within this group of thieves one of them was a lookout he had a dog (staff) They wheeled the bike down Coal st.
I believe that the two guys I saw in my first entry on this thread with bolt cutters are part of the same crowd . They live local! Unfortunatley the appear to beyond the law.
SEH
Thursday 20 April 2006 10.32pm
To add insult to injury, a few days after the theft I was walking home and using my mobile phone. A police car drew up, I was summoned me to the window and told that I shouldn't be using my phone because it would be stolen. I was speechless. They can't be bothered to investigate motor bike theft, but they can drive round telling people that it's their own fault if they are the victims of crime!

I'm very sorry to hear about all the other bike thefts. I have lost a Suzuki DR350 and 3 KTMs and my partner had his KTM stolen from my home. Another time they managed to remove the front wheel and throw away the spindle. I was beginning to think they only targetted offroad bikes. It does rather feel as if owning a bike (and hanging on to it) is practically impossible round here.
Friday 21 April 2006 7.43am
It makes me very frustrated that the police seem unable to contain this type of crime. A few "dummy" bikes, cars, pushbikes etc under surveillance every couple of months would soon attract the usual suspects and then they could be caught in the act, not rocket science. Do any police read these posts? We love you really, but as you can see the bad guys are winning too often and it pisses us off!
Friday 21 April 2006 8.36am
Scooter what I really should have made clear is Aylesbury Estate is where most of them end up...especially as the garages can be used to hide them and then ridden...try Westmoreland road end first.....Heygate after......
Friday 21 April 2006 9.36am
Thanks for the info. A friend of mine parks her Nexus in Swan St so I'll tip her off.

I'm not condoning thieves, but I do think that you contribute to letting your bike get nicked if you park it somewhere like Swan St (i.e. somewhere with a nice solid railing designed for you to chain up to) and you don't use a chain. Mind you, I sometimes put my disk lock when I go in to the garage to pay for petrol, so I am very much on the supercautious end of the spectrum.

Sorry to hear your news SEH. Sounds like you had chained the front wheel and they left the wheel but took the rest of the bike. Is that right?

...if you press it, they will come.
SEH
Friday 21 April 2006 8.56pm
Ivanhoe - no that's not right. They were disturbed and left the bike chained to the ground anchor with the second chain. I searched high and low for the spindle and eventually had to call out the recovery people to take it to Bracken to get a new spindle. Very irritating.

I agree with Jerry about the idea of dummy vehicles, but no doubt the police could tell us why it wouldn't work/wouldn't be worth it! One of the worst things about the thefts - apart from the money, is the feeling that someone is watching what I do...
Saturday 22 April 2006 10.53am
My misunderstanding. Sorry. Pretty determined thieves!

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 23 April 2006 1.50pm
I've lost about 5 bikes in London now.. after havng my first old bike stole bought really good locks and parked my bike in public locations, but that didn't help. When my last one was stolen, the police woman I spoke to said the only way to keep it was to keep it in the house (not much good to me in a tiny flat).

I get really frustrated with the police for not taking the issue more seriously, because it's obviously organised crime. People go around in vans with bolt cutters and take a load of bikes.... probably used to fund drugs etc. not just a load of kids getting up to japes!
Sunday 23 April 2006 3.00pm
I often wonder where all the used bikes in the shop in Elephant Road come from....after all the stolen ones have to be flogged somewhere.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions