London SE1 community website

Crime in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Sunday 23 April 2006 8.45pm
My bike was in the house when it was stolen . The police still haven't come out. I was in Evans the bike shop today and got chatting to one of the guys who works there he informed their bike store was broken into and bikes stolen the police didn't want to know about the bolt cutters which were left behind.
At the moment I cant settle I keep thinking I'm gonna see my bike and get it back . I'm walking round with the serial number of the bike so i can prove its mine when I see it.
I need to move on and not let these thieving scumbags take over my life.
It is incredible how many people have had their bikes stolen.
Sunday 23 April 2006 9.09pm
dont beat yourself up, Scooter, it's such an invasion when your property is forcibly removed, and it's not surprising you're gutted. Now that cycling has become so "in" there's probably a far greater trade in nicked bikes than previously. Have you looked in the shop in Elephant Road (the little snicket between New Kent Road and Walworth Road just off the North roundabout of the E&C?
Monday 24 April 2006 6.14am
I'll walk down there today Jackie, Thank you for the info. have a good Monday :-)
Thursday 22 June 2006 4.52pm
Where 0h were are the police on two occasions the police were contacted to report the theft of two expensive motorbikes. These were two seperate incidents which happened today.As yet no contact from the police One of the bikes has now been covered with a cover and the number plate taken off. The people who are doing this are local. The people who these bikes belong to could get them back if the police came out to check them out.
My neighbors were also broken into yesterday. It feels as a community we are on our own and the criminals can do what they want.
SEH
Thursday 22 June 2006 7.54pm
It's very frustrating! The police really would go up in my eyes, and the eyes of a lot of local bikers, if they could catch someone. I can't see myself getting another motor bike unless/until I leave SE1. I know it's not the most important crime, but it does undermine my faith in the police generally when they are so uninterested.
Friday 23 June 2006 10.03am
Did you read the piece in MCN the other week where someone successfully sued the police for not taking action in enough time to recover her bike? She had her bike nicked, and then shortly afterwards saw it being ridden around the area. She called the police, who were otherwise engaged and couldn't help.

Court eventually ruled that the police should have acted quicker and awarded her compensation (IIRC)

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 23 June 2006 10.56am
'Fraid your bike could get nicked outside of SE1 just as easily...bike nicking is a full time job for some people. It beats working apparently.
Sunday 25 June 2006 7.23pm
Just returned from a w/e a way . Just to update you the police did come out in the early hours of Friday morning , they uncovered the bike and cut through the chains the thief had put on the bike. The bike was confirmed as stolen, I hope the police are able to prosecute the scumbags.
Sunday 25 June 2006 9.10pm
Good news. Hope your bike's okay.
Monday 26 June 2006 11.04am
I find it funny that the thief is so woried about someone pinching it from him - he chains it! glad you got it back...and in one piece..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions