London SE1 community website

Champor Champor delight

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Monday 1 May 2006 11.49am
Quote from Champor.
When we first started back in 2000, we did not add a service charge, and hoped that the floor staff would make up their wages from tips.
This, I think, is what some of you are talking about when you say the staff costs should be ‘built in' to the price structure of the meal.

I would call that semantics. The service charge - being compulsory - is obviously part of the meal
price structure.
A tip should be a bonus to a waiter/waitress and a sign of appreciation, not part of their wages.
Either you have too many staff, your wages are stingy, or you're paying yourself too much
Monday 1 May 2006 11.02pm
do you think that's a helpful contribution when CC have tried so hard to explain the (tax) situation?
ADT
Tuesday 2 May 2006 11.54am
I haven't eaten at CC, so I can't comment on that portion of the thread. However, I would like to thank them for the useful discussion of taxes/service charges etc. There was a lot of stuff I didn't know in there, and it's always nice to know the reasons behind the way things are.
Tuesday 2 May 2006 12.39pm
I agree with ADT - I had no idea about the complicated system, and to me, it sounds like they are trying to do something fair in a difficult situation...but i haven't eaten there either! nice to have local businessess being so engaged with us via Jame's lovely board though isn't it.
fh
Tuesday 2 May 2006 1.12pm
i wondered whether i should actually write a few not so happy words after a recent trip to champor champor - but i have decided to do so because i feel it is important we both opt to eat at local restaurants as well as encourage them to improve. i ate there saturday night - finally - and was quite surprised. it's a lovely little restaurant, the service was attentive, and the atmosphere is quite soothing to frazzled nerves waiting for weekend calm. that, however, was not the surprising part. Having heard so much about the inventive, wonderful food i was surprised to find that it was not quite up to all the hoopla. at least what i ordered was not, and whatever i tasted from a friend's plate was not either. i started with the squid - chewy and palatable enough, but there was not enough of the lime and honey reduction to last the salad, nor did it have enough pizzaz to maintain my interest after a few bites. i then opted for the catfish, which was dissapointingly soft and not quite as fishy as one would hope. the mango/ginger puree was what a gourmet baby might appreciate but since i have more adult tastes i would have expected something a bit more refined. the pesto rice was possibly the best contribution to that plate. i did get a taste of my friend's prawns, which were definitely more substantial in terms of taste - but there was nothing distinct that leave me hungering for another meal at the restaurant. the sort of food that champor champor professes to offer needs subtlety, creativity and flair - and there wasnt enough in at least what i ate to leave me feeling that they had managed to do that. i have found more delicate, individualistic flavours at asian fusion eateries such as Zuma or Roka, and far more robust, tangy curries at E&O. I would love to go back to champor champor if they upped their menu offerings and the fact that the menu changes seasonally means the next one might be a little more exciting. Ostrich and Crocodile are all very well, but gourmet mystique is not enough to keep people coming back. For the prices and the reputation, one would expect food that one can easily digest but not so easily dismiss. please dont rest on your laurels - you have to win customers over every single day and with every single meal. though i objected earlier to the 15% service tip i gladly paid that because the service was charming, however i'm not sure you earned my 22.50 for the meal.
Tuesday 2 May 2006 1.16pm
Yes I agree totally with fh - I was the ones with the prawns. We had a nice evening and it's a delightful place, but I thought the food only just over the "ordinary" category. Not flavourful enough, nor distict enough to be interesting. I will give it another go and try something different,but it seems to me that their seasoning chef is a bit too bland! Fh is far more clued up than me on that!
Anonymous User
Tuesday 2 May 2006 8.23pm
The frogs legs (or rather the 'porridge' that they came in) were fab. The crocodile was just a gimmick I presume & nothing to write home about.

The vegetarian main course that Pob had was lovely and quite imaginitive which makes a pleasant change.
Tuesday 2 May 2006 9.48pm
Andrew H wrote:
The staff are delightful, and for what it's worth, the chef is sexy.

Unlike the Seasoning Chef - 'Bland' according to our Jackie.
Wednesday 3 May 2006 6.43am
Gosh Birdie when did you have TIME to see the chef? You were at the table all the time as far as I remember......but the cocktails ARE good. By the way, I hope Mr. Champor Champor is basking in all this free publicity!
Anonymous User
Wednesday 3 May 2006 11.59am
Saw the chef? Me? Gosh - I do get about don't I?

I think you're confusing me with Andrew H (an easy mistake to make - we are two peas in a pod!)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions