London SE1 community website

Policing of SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 4 March 2003 8.51am
Martyn,

Good summary....

I have learnt a lot on this subject which I guess is a good advertisement for this forum. I'll wait and see what impact this scheme has but fully agree that any yellow jacket is far better than no yellow jacket at all. I have worked on the piazza for some years and know the shall we say 'faces' by sight and yes I have seen them slinking off to pastures new when they see the jackets so as a deterent thumbs up. Is there any plans to widen the role in the future, and do many PCSO's go on to become constables?

What did you think about the idea that specials should be paid long the lines of the TA? Would appreciate comments on that idea.

Cheers

Dave
Jai
Wednesday 5 March 2003 3.34pm
Let's give them guns and grenades !!!

yes... fair pay is a small reward for the effort...

Varkenslachter
Thursday 6 March 2003 8.14pm
Dave

glad we are argeeing a bit :-)
Not sure if the PCSO role will be widened. guess it's a case of wait and see.
it is still in such an early stage. there is a lot of interest in PCSO'S becoming police officers and this is great. as there is such a wide range of ethnics minorities and females joining PCSO'S them moving through to the police would be such a good thing.
as for specials being paid, well that would be a good thing. amazes me how many specials there are seeing as they get nothing for doing it. I know I couldn't afford to do it for nothing.

Martyn
Friday 7 March 2003 9.41am
Martyn,

Agree that's a good thing, some might like to use it as a way of seeing if they would like to become PC's whilst still getting paid, unlike the specials!

Whatever happens I think they despite the record numbers going through Hendon and the presence of the PCSO's that STILL more PC's are required in order to effectively police London. I know that statistics show crime has dropped but statistics can and will be massaged in order to suit an audience.

I am, and continue to be worried about the rise in gun crime within SE1 and it's so called fashionability amongst the gangsta culture. It might be cool to carry a gun but it's definately not cool shoving your hand into somebody in order to try and stop the flow of blood from a gunshot wound and to watch a friend slip away in front of you!!

I still find it a miracle that the police are able to make any headway against armed criminals when they are routinely unarmed (despite ARV support). Psychologically if someone goes out to commit a crime with force then they will carry a knife and or gun - in order to combat this I really feel that the police (for their own safety!) should be routinely armed. Regrettably the days of Dixon of Dock Green are long gone... (wasn't he shot?)

But enough of my ranting, well done for your enthusiasm Martyn and I for one do appreciate it. I know look on the matter differently from when I first posted my thread.

Thanks

David
MM
Monday 10 March 2003 4.08pm
I for one REALLY VALUE the contribution that these Community Support officers are making. In my neck of the woods, the only time you see police is when they are speeding past at 90mph chasing some yardie or other down the New Kent Road- admittedly a worthwhile pursuit. So its extremely welcome to have a foot presence that is so visible. Closed Shop arguments that propose one-size-fits-all traditional policing as the solution to all our problems are niave 70s union clap-trap and are completely unaffordable. The one time I have seen a lady approach the community support officers, she appeared to be getting a helpful and friendly service from them, although admittedly, it was just for directions from an A to Z!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions