London SE1 community website

Pavement Parking

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Al
Tuesday 15 April 2003 5.21pm
please don't tar us all with the same brush. i have three bikes, think about where i leave them, and have a concern about non-etiquette of 'new' scooter riders.

i'd be surprised if a ducati owner left it in a stupid place...but i could be wrong.

like your style Rachel!

A
Tuesday 15 April 2003 11.17pm
God, where I live, abandoned cars are left for weeks. Months, in fact. I think Southwark Council are only interested in moving cars if they think they're going to be able to charge a fine.
Tuesday 22 April 2003 11.47am
The bit here about motorbikes not displaying tax discs is interesting. My understanding of the law is that a valid tax disc must be displayed at all times, having one but not displaying it technically breaks the law. Recently, loads of cars not displaying tax discs were clamped around the Pepys Estate, maybe thats the way to suggest they deal with it.
Tuesday 22 April 2003 12.40pm
I have had more contact regarding this from the council and it seems that although it is illegal not to display a tax disc, their excuse is that they remove it to prevent it being stolen. This apparently is accepted by the court as a valid reason as motorbikes aren't really that secure.

Having said that, it seems that Southwark council might be about to make some changes as to how they deal with this problem.... Don't want to say any more just yet in case I give the game away but will keep you posted.

Tuesday 22 April 2003 12.48pm
There's been an abandonded car Blackfriars Road end of Union Street, with a council sticker on that has been there for about two months...is this a record?
Tuesday 22 April 2003 5.31pm
Glad you mentioned that Jan - I've been meaning to but assumed it would be towed by now, only to be surprised every day that it's still there. Having come back after Easter, it's still there - all the windows smashed out etc.

And where is it, some minor side street out of the way maybe?? No - 6 feet into Union Street off B'friars road, directly opposite Southwark Tube and a lovely piece of urban art for the visitors to the Tate Modern to admire on their way past.....
Jai
Wednesday 23 April 2003 1.38pm
It's true... I had two tax-discs stolen form my motorbike several years ago... Ever since, I carry mine with me in my wallet...

I haven't yet resorted to putting a plastic bag over my numberplate, but then generally I don't mind parking my bike in the free-parking bays for motorbikes...

Varkenslachter
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions