London SE1 community website

Urban Foxes in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Friday 28 April 2006 2.24pm
There is a fox with an injured back leg who sleeps on the top of cars in the underground car-park at Drake Court (on Swan Street) where my friend lives and doesn't seem to mind anyone who comes close by, he just looks up and then curls back up again. He has two favourite cars, ones that have those canvas car covers on, which I assume are quite nice and soft. He's got a bit of a limp but seems to survive OK.

I think that the urban foxes are lovely and make a nice addition to the area. How anyone can kill one for fun amazes me.

This week in my garden I've had: Fox, cat, pigeon (ferral and Wood), sparrows, blackbirds, starlings and............ an absolutley massive herron. It must have had a wing-span of about 4 foot and even standing up looked about 2ft tall. He was in my back garden in Alma Grove, Bermondsey and looked magnificent. By the time I'd grabbed my camera he'd gone and was being dive-bombed by the local crows. Apparently they go looking for goldfish in garden ponds!!
Friday 28 April 2006 2.36pm
JGarcia, how lucky to see a heron, we used to have loads of birds in the garden,
wrens, dunnocks, sparrows,tits, siskins, blackbird, and wonderful day a Great spotted woodpecker, then two jays.

we dont see so many since my neighbour moved in with two cats, who quite naturally hunt.

I may even build a pond to attract a heron!
Saturday 29 April 2006 6.48am
Dunno why you're surprised. I found one in my kitchen about two years ago. In panic, it ran straight into glass part of the patio door before finding the opening and vanishing under the garden gate. The only thing unusual in you seeing one is the time of year. They seem to be more visible in Summer. Then, you can even see them in broad daylight, albeit late in the evening or in the early morning. They are also incredibly tolerant of people. So long as you don't make any sudden moves directly at them, they will go as far as sitting there and watching as you walk past them a few feet away.

It seems one has taken on a habit of burying things in a tub by my front door. There is a hole in the soil in it right now where it's been digging. The most alarming moment occurred the first time this happened. Finding the soil disturbed, my lodger went to find out what had happened, and found something white, cold, clammy and covered in skin. At first, we both wondered if we should call the police, but it turned out to be an uncooked chicken leg. :D

Mammals are limited to foxes and squirrels (lots of them at times and the council regard them as a pest since they have a habit of gnawing their way into roof spaces - like rats and mice, they are rodents), birds are an entirely different thing. Among the more unusual urban avian wild life I've also seen in my garden are wrens (so tiny and soooo loud!), a robin, a woodpecker that decided to start on my garden fence, a falcon of some description that plucked a sparrow or suchlike out of a tree in front of my eyes and a ring necked parrot, hanging upside down on my washing line. I've also spotted a barn owl, flying about in Waterloo station.

You should open your eyes more often. You'll be amazed at what you see.
Tuesday 2 May 2006 3.52pm
I live in Balfour Street and have had at least 3 pairs of trainers and sandals stolen by the local fox community. To add insult to injury, they steal only one shoe and defecate or urinate in the one they leave!!! Don't leave your shoes outside at night.

Maria
Tuesday 2 May 2006 4.00pm
I live on Upper Ground near the OXO tower and we used to have several but I have not seen them for a while. The rumour was that someone had poisoned them....re the inner twitcher comment above, I was amazed when I started to see...a sparrow hawk! I am on 10th floor and up at the level they like to sit and view their next victim. Gruesome but awesome at the same time! Finally, the other day I was walking to Southwark tube during the morning rush hour when a squirrel ran across Blackfriars Bridge Road....FOUR lanes of traffic!!!! Super squirrel!!
Tuesday 2 May 2006 4.06pm
I was sooo pleased to see Sparrows this year - I thought they'd left London for good. The Sparrowhawk sighting doesn't bode well for seeing them next year though. Don't they use Sparrowhawks to keep Pigeons from pooing over Southwark Cathedral?
Tuesday 2 May 2006 4.14pm
hmmm...hadn't thought of that (of course the clue IS in the name). I have only ever seen them take pigeons as it goes.
Tuesday 2 May 2006 5.58pm
Yep the sparrows are back :-) we have a few in our street. As for the foxes we quite often see them playing out in the square during the day. We have a squirrel which comes over our roof top and slides down the drain pipe so it can reach the nut feeder out for the birds outside our kitchen window.
Wednesday 3 May 2006 8.45am
I've already ordered a Sparrow terrace nesting box for next year (apparently they're quite social and not interested in detached with garden - just as well in SE1 eh?). There's a Squirrel with an extremely tatty, somewhat diminished tail who comes to eat the sunflower seeds I put out for the Blackbirds. He sits right outside the door and teases my cat who spends hours trembling in anticipation and crawling at .000025 MPH on his belly to catch him. The Squirrel lets him get within about 2 feet before scurrying just far enough up a tree so that Rex can't reach. Aaaaah - poor Rex!
Saturday 6 May 2006 11.43pm
We live in Peabody Blackfriars and have a regular fox visitor. A while back, I went into my kitchen and our fox visitor was sat in our window box staring through the window at me. It had dug most of it up, unfortunately!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions