London SE1 community website

Urban Foxes in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 4 of 8
Sunday 7 May 2006 12.25pm
When I lived at Shad Thames and came back at 3 am from work, I always saw a fox skulking about every night. When we lived at Whitesground there was a Vixen and her cubs that lived in the factory nearby and they would always come and stare at us when we came in. I was also once followed down St. Thomas's street by a fox the whole way - very cute!

Tend to see about one a week now, from tiny, skinny, threadbear ones to beautiful lush red ones...

When I lived in the country in devon I never saw a fox!
Monday 8 May 2006 10.23am
I'm really enjoying this urban wildlife forum. Last week I was woken in the morning by some desperate sounding chirping. I looked out the window and saw a sparrow hawk on the lawn by our flats. Under its talons was a black bird, either an actual blackbird or a starling. The sparrowhawk was pecking at it and its poor victim was still alive as it was being eaten. Eventually it flew off with its prey still in its claws.

We live near the primary school on Webber Street and often see squirrels and foxes as well as plenty of blue tits, great tits, blackbirds, greenfinches and the other day a goldfinch. It's quite a jungle out there...
Monday 8 May 2006 11.47am
Just before Christmas I was walking to Westminster Bridge Road by the Perspective Building one evening when I was aware I was being watched. I looked to my right and saw an enormous fox sitting upright on the corner of street by Amigo House. I stopped to admire him and then he bolted through the tiniest gap into the gardens of some flats.
I live at MCH at Elephant and we have a Heron who comes most mornings and frightens our cat. He sits on the top of the block opposite our window and watches the koi carp in the pond. He used to eat them but then we got a decoy heron.
I also saw a squirrel in our courtyard the other day, drinking from the pond!
Monday 8 May 2006 3.48pm
Don't encourage the squirrels - they have a fancy for eating the insulation on electrical cables and can cause expensive havoc - let them find their own nuts (as the saying goes...) I know somebody who was losing shoes from indoors. This was eventually found to be a fox getting in through their cat flap - it's the leather they go for
Monday 8 May 2006 4.16pm
I saw some great tits the other day in my garden
Monday 8 May 2006 6.03pm
JGarcia wrote:
I saw some great tits the other day in my garden

My friend saw some in The Sun too.
Monday 2 April 2007 4.46pm
Apologies for resurrecting old thread, but I wondered if anyone had seen anything of the foxes that used to drift around the area of Redcross St lately? I used to spot them all the time but fear their present non-appearance speaks ill of their fate.
Monday 2 April 2007 5.39pm
their dens have probably been built on..filled in with all the building thats going on in se1..i have only seen one in my garden this year..a magnificent specimen too.
Monday 2 April 2007 6.39pm
There seem to be quite a few over here in the east bit of se1 - Thorburn Square/Longley Street. Think we had some parakeets too - closest ive seen them before was in greenwich park - do they come into southwark??
Tuesday 3 April 2007 10.50am
A couple of weeks ago, my partner had returned late from the pub with some foul takeaway. I opened the patio doors to disperse the smell. After a few minutes, something caught the corner of my eye and I was amazed to see a fox sitting in my living room coveting the foul kebab! He was totally unconcerned that I had seen him and lazily sauntered off when I stood up. The foxes are all alive and well around Harper Road and Balfour Street though I'm sure that will change with the regeneration plans. They'll be back though!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 4 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions