London SE1 community website

Urban Foxes in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8
Tuesday 15 July 2008 9.42am
We have 1 in our communal garden quite frequently, he/she is REALLY skinny though, looks quite pathetic. Maybe i'll throw out some jam sandwiches :O)
Tuesday 15 July 2008 10.15am
Hi darrenm - I live in Henley Drive too and love that we have a family of four cub foxes in residence (although could do without the 4am yowling and the state of the bin stores).
One of the four is a lot less timid than the others - he/she came right up to me on Sunday evening and had a sniff/nibble of my fingers, and then a sniff/nibble of my friend's shoe.
They look a bit skinny so wondered whether i should put out some dog food for them.
Tuesday 15 July 2008 8.43pm
Big fat ones here, usually up and down Drummond Road (yes, I know, SE16). Until recently the most urban fox I had seen was a couple of years ago, it was crossing the Old Street roundabout and heading South. Then I saw one at Holborn...
Wednesday 16 July 2008 6.49am
I think I have mentioned this before, about the massive dead fox down Abbey street, it was not a road kill though, looking like it was asleep and someone had cut it's tail off..:-(

I used to feed the lovely little cubs in my garden, when the count got to about 17 different ages and sizes in the back gardens with the associating mess and smell I called it a day. There is still two large ones in my garden, one sleeps on the top of the overgrown honeysuckle and the other on a garden chair..
Wednesday 16 July 2008 9.04am
Mcqeen, it's probably best not to feed them, but if you want to, meat that a human would eat is best. Dog food isn't good for them. Don't let them see you leave it though. Habituated foxes are vulnerable to attacks from dickheads.
Wednesday 16 July 2008 1.14pm
Thank you beetroot, I will bear that in mind. I always thought that dog food is fit for human consumption (or is that an urban myth?) and it's what vets recommend for feeding hedgehogs (not bread and milk)... But WHO KNOWS what they put in anything canned these days, so maybe I'll just get the foxes some cheap mince!

Judging by the pigeon feathers everywhere this morning, someone managed to grab some grub without any human assistance anyway!
Tuesday 26 August 2008 3.14pm
Just saw a skinny fox coming through Leathermarket Court. I wonder if it was the same limping fox from Leroy Street? It had one hind leg lifted up and was getting along pretty nicely on three.
Tuesday 26 August 2008 7.57pm
I was leaning over the balcony outside of my front door last weekend, just after midnight, when I saw a fox trotting in my direction. I was initially concerned because I knew my cat, who only three months ago had to have her hip pinned to her spine after being hit by a car, was beneath me at the entrance to the flats. But then my concern moved to the fox as a hissing ball of fluff flew from out of the shadows, and the fox turned and high-tailed it out of there. Seconds later my other cat appeared by the side of the first one and joined in the show of strength.

This set my mind at ease concerning the worries I had about foxes attacking my cats. That is until this week my best pal told me he found a dead cat in his back garden which was actually chewed in half. He lives about 20 miles west of here, so maybe the foxes are bigger out there, or maybe the cat was injured.
Tuesday 26 August 2008 9.10pm
I find it very hard to believe that was a fox, gaffer. More likely the badly bred staff or pit-bull of someone in fake Burberry.

If threatened by a cat, a fox will almost always scarper.
Tuesday 26 August 2008 9.25pm
You're probably right. I did suggest that to him. It is a bit fake-burberry-ville out that way, but he denies he has been upsetting any of the neighbours.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions