London SE1 community website

Improving Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 20
Friday 31 July 2009 7.54pm
We now know what the BHS POst Office is going to be and it's not going to liven up BHS in any way.
And if you sign up for the launch tour on 24th September you get a free sun-jar!

Otherwise known as a jamjar with a tealight.
http://www.etcvenues.co.uk/prospero-house/illuminate
Friday 31 July 2009 8.18pm
Hmmmm...

I walked tonight from 'More London' (a developer's name or branding of course, not the local name), through Bermondsey High Street to BHS.

'More London' and Bermondsey HS are be-decked with new trees and flowers and it looks lovely. But as soon as you hit BHS - one of the oldest and most significant streets in London - it all looks crap.

When will someone give BHS a lift???? When will someone tell Guy's hospital to take down the 'temporary' scaffolding x 2 shops? When will someone say there are enough gambling outfits on BHS now...and no-one is using them anyway (when I look in).

Hmmm...it's about time BHS had some TLC from TFL or whoever.

Lizzie
Saturday 1 August 2009 4.50pm
LizzieJ wrote:
Hmmmm...
I walked tonight from 'More London' (a developer's name or branding of course, not the local name), through Bermondsey High Street to BHS.

'More London' and Bermondsey HS are be-decked with new trees and flowers and it looks lovely.

Bermondsey High Street - where is that?
Monday 30 November 2009 1.07pm
From this report on planning enforcement:

"The planning enforcement team is also coordinating with other
business units to pilot an initiative to proactively identify and remediate
breaches of planning control affecting Southwark's thoroughfare and high
streets in order to improve the character and appearance of these highly
visible main roads and have recently launched a high street/thoroughfare
improvement project with Borough High Street as a pilot
."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 16 December 2009 2.43pm
phraze wrote:
one thing about this area that I find mental is the lack of crossings for pedestrians. If you come out of the wrong exit at London Bridge Underground you can find it pretty hard to get across to the market in amongst all the buses and taxis...

From TfL question time at the London Assembly:

Valerie Shawcross
When will TfL install a pedestrian crossing at the intersection of Borough High Street (east side) and St Thomas Street, SE1?

Answer from the Chair and Commissioner
A scheme to provide a pedestrian phase for the signals at this intersection is on hold. TfL must await completion of the major construction work for The Shard before such a crossing could be implemented, as St Thomas' Street is a key route for construction deliveries and there is little scope for shutting it off for additional works during this time. The Shard is scheduled to be completed by the spring of 2012, at which point TfL will revisit such a scheme.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 13 January 2010 7.52am
A Greggs would be a great asset to BHS in my 'umble opinion. They do great freshly baked snacks and cakes. Lovely at any time of year but especially in this cold spell. There's a branch in E&C shopping centre and in Walworth Rd. but a 'local' branch would be more convenient. There is a cornish pasty shop in BHS but their display doesn't look as appetising as Greggs so haven't tried them.
Wednesday 13 January 2010 8.32am
BHS could do with a lot of things...but first the unsightly building supports/scaffold need to go and some investment in the other buildings needs to be done. A shame really as there is a lot of footfall along the street and therefore opportunity for retailers to create a proper shopping street.
Sunday 30 October 2011 10.18am
When I first moved to London as a student in 99/00, I lived in Bankside halls, just behind the Tate, and the area was pretty barren. After my first year, I then lived in some flats near Borough Station for the remaining two years.

Ten years on, the area around the Tate looks great while BHS looks as grim as it did when I was first there! It's amazing, although the big chains such as Subway, Pret, Starbucks are now there, it's the same grotty buildings/look/congestion. There are too many pedestrians for the narrow pavements, and there are the perpetual roadworks!

I just can't get my head around of why the area is so bad given that it has one of London's most popular tourist destinations at one end, and is generally an area with excellent footfall. If it's the same Council that is responsible for Bankside, More London etc, then why can't it sort out one simple high street? You would thought it would be an obvious thing to do given that the the Shard is due to open next year but again, I must be missing something?
jpm
Sunday 30 October 2011 10.33am
... well the easy answer is in the famous phrase 'follow the money'

BHS is primarily a 'night-time economy' place(count the numbers of bars, restaurants and takeaways) - so new businesses will look at the customers already there and make their decision.

It'll be interesting to see if - when the Shard finally has lots of office workers in - whether there starts to become the demand for lunchtime things, following the example of Subway. Maybe a Pret a Manger ?

But this will take 5+ years I guess.

As for the street/ pavements - that will depend on vision from TFL/ Southwark Council - and whether they can do anything to widen the pavements with the duty of the road as a major traffic route. I'm not sure that's an easy circle to square.
Sunday 30 October 2011 1.08pm
Food ... Food .. Food...Drinks.. The only thing we mention when we talk about this area.. Let the mind expand please... I am sure there are other options!
It really happens elsewhere. It is not a mirage.
Personally, Pret a Manger would mean for me sadly another place to avoid.
My rights as a resident are highly stepped over.. Only mines? I suspect not.
Current: 10 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions