London SE1 community website

Improving Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 20
Sunday 30 October 2011 2.49pm
same old...same old...can something be done about the illegal scaffoldling over several premises on the high street? who is accountable for this mess.

as for the "night time economy" ...ummm where ?? Belushi and Sainsbury?? Chicken Cottage ?? Pret? Costabucks? my idea of a night out includes NONE of the above...basically until someone steps up with a plan and has the clout to make changes happen Borough HS will carry on its inevitable decline. sad but true
Sunday 30 October 2011 5.37pm
orione wrote:
My rights as a resident are highly stepped over.. Only mines? I suspect not.

Your 'rights as a resident' with regard to what businesses decide to set up in BHS are what, exactly?
Sunday 30 October 2011 10.55pm
Janefs you can answer your question alone if you think a bit harder...try if you still cannot find an answer check other treads like another coffee shop or Bermndsey steet one. You will find out that many residents find important a bit of control regarding the monopoly of a single kind of business in the area.

In regard to the buildings wrapped in scaffoldings I think they belong to kings college. And I would be very curious to know what their plans are.
Monday 31 October 2011 9.39am
The scaffolded buildings are the biggest eyesore on the street and have been for years...and years...and even more years. Kings College...if it is the owner...should be shamed massively for allowing an area to decline beacuse they can't decide what to do with their own propert assets...the coincil should step in and threaten them with a compulsory purchase order if possible as it is a hinderenace not only to regeneration but to simply walking down a busy pavement. The roadworks hopefully are done for the foreseeable future and the paving has also been improved in most areas along BHS...but sadly the buildings mentioned see no change.
Monday 31 October 2011 1.14pm
The only place on BHS I have had a meal is The Slug and Lettuce which was quite nice. I prefer to go down Southwark St to Vapiano or one of the myriad of restaurants thereabouts. The main problem with the premises on BHS is they are too small for anything except coffe shops, estate agents, bookies and fast food outlets. They mostly seem to cater for the lunchtime office trade who only want something quick and easy. And that caravan with no wheels outside London Bridge post office selling I think takeaway Thai meals is ooozing a permanent stream of brown liquid staining the new pavement.
Bring back the Shoe Fayre and Mayfair carpets I say.
Monday 31 October 2011 3.07pm
Anywhere in the City caters basically for lunchtime trade, and only 5 days a week too. I agree the premesis themselves are a physical handicap to bringing in certain larger retail chains but even so I have seen some very small versions of Boots to name but 1 multiple. I don't see that as a good reason not to have some improvement...it must be a combination of the premesis owners and the council showing lack of imagination which has led to the sorry state of BHS.
Monday 31 October 2011 5.17pm
the scaffolding has all got expired licenses...any one in the council listening?? thought not
Monday 31 October 2011 5.51pm
boroughpaul - watch this space - things are happening (sort of)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 31 October 2011 6.55pm
It's not the 'quality' of the businesses on BHS I have a problem with (a mixture of chains and independent cafes) - it's, as highlighted above, the scruffy and derelict look of the road. Even when the chains have set up (e.g. Sainsbury's, Costa, Starbucks ) and are kitted up inside to the usual identikit high standards, from the outside they look as rough as hell! Ditto for the John Harvard library.

All such a shame, especially when Southwark Street/Bankside is just down the road and much nicer.
Tuesday 1 November 2011 9.49am
James Hatts wrote:
boroughpaul - watch this space - things are happening (sort of)

Would love to hear any update on the scaffolding issue blighting BHS. Please keep us updated James!
Current: 11 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions