London SE1 community website

Improving Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 20
Tuesday 23 May 2006 8.32pm
I would love to see traffic from BHS being allowed to turn left into this street by St George's Church and then East down Long Lane. Perhaps it could be one way this way and stop the crazy U turns from Long Lane now going on. Oh, oops that was how it used to be before the overpaid meddlers cocked this junction up!
Thursday 8 June 2006 11.24pm
Hi all,

One week to add your thoughts on improvements to Borough High Street and then I will collate all the ideas and take them to the next meeting of Southwark Living Streets on the 15th June.

Anne from SLS and I met folks from the General Public Agency www.generalpublicagency.com last Monday and they are giving their support by coming to the next meeting of SLS too. The General Public Agency are currently working on a design for an Urban Park which would draw together all the open spaces within the square formed by Borough High Street, Union Street, Blackfriars Road and Southwark Street. They are in contact with the teams working on the regeneration of the Elephant and Castle.

Annie Coleman, Chairman of the Borough Market Trustees has also said the Trustees would lend their support.

So - make sure you have put your ideas here and I will collect them next week.

Lizzie
Friday 9 June 2006 4.37pm
Hi LizzieJ

apologies - I'm probably repeating myself but fo rhte sake of clarity my suggestion is.....

TFL make it a priority to ensure that obstacles, including business advertisement hoarding, are cleared from paths

(bit mental for them to consider widening parts of the path when other parts are wide enough, but full of newspaper stands and hoardings)

Cheers
Saturday 10 June 2006 10.07pm
The best way to improve a street is to clean and paint the buildings.
Wednesday 14 June 2006 10.11pm
Hi EasyR,
I'll add this to the list and present it with the other ideas tomorrow at Southwark Living Streets.

Thanks for all the ideas etc

Lizzie
Wednesday 14 June 2006 10.12pm
Will add that in.
Thursday 15 June 2006 7.22am
i agree that the derelict shops (shoefayre etc) should be revamped(and put to use, not to be demolished) to give the middle of BHStreet a little more lively feel. rather than only sainsbury's.
i don't think i understand the idea of an "urban park"... but i am waiting to see what is in store.

exciting stuff
schnake
Sunday 18 June 2006 10.48am
My number one improvement for BHS is the junction of BHS with Great Dover Street, which becomes very congested at peak times. The traffic island at this junction needs remodelling, as it cuts into the lane of traffic going right on to BHS, meaning you have to either ride the curb to get in to the right hand lane, or wait in the yellow box behind, causing further congestion. Remove the encroachment into the right hand lane and the traffic flow will improve.
Monday 24 July 2006 10.27pm
Hi folks,

Quite a bit has been happening - see below in the list!

1. Letter to the Borough and Bankside Forum:
Since the last update - Alastair Hanton (Chairman of Southwark Living Streets) and I wrote a letter to Councillor Danny McCarthy, Chairman of the Borough and Bankside Community Council.

We put forward the idea of having a meeting to give interested parties the opportunity to discuss the future of Borough High Street with Transport for London and Southwark Council. A distillation of all your comments, thoughts and ideas also went into the letter.

Councillor McCarthy replied, stating that he is really interested in assuring that the Borough High Street retains its historic importance. He also agreed that it has been neglected over the years and needs to be renovated to its former glory. He forwarded a copy of the letter from Alastair and I to Councillor Richard Thomas.

I have not yet had a reply from Councillor Richard Thomas.

2. Hutchinson 3G:
Another letter was passed to me addressed to 'The Owner/Occupier of 74 Borough High Street' - it informed people of a forthcoming planning application to put up three antennas; one dish antenna; one Node B radio equipment cabinet and possible other supporting equipment. This sounds like a lot of gear for a street which is already full of cameras, signs and congestion zone sensors. The site would be on the roof of 78/80 Borough High Street.

I emailed Gareth Coombes-Olney, Regional Community Affairs Manager at Hutchinson 3G to ask if there would be consultation around these masts. It will have to go through Southwark Planning office for approval. I was assured, by email, that interested parties would be consulted.

3 and 4: Two meetings of Southwark Living Streets on Thursday 20th July and tonight, Monday 24th July. At both there were folk from Southwark Council, keen to find out what the thoughts were from people interested and concerned. Councillor Lisa Rajan, Executive member for Environment and Transport brought along Graham Richards (Transport Planning) and Andrew (?) who is responsible for road management.

Lisa Rajan mentioned that there would be a pedestrian audit around Borough Tube Station being done next year. SLS did a street audit for Borough High Street, in December 2005, which Southwark Council have in their possession somewhere (gently reminded Jeremy from SLS). Lisa Rajan promised to read the document (she is newly in post).

Alastair Hanton mentioned to the officers/Councillor from Southwark that SLS would organise a meeting - as a neutral party - around the subject of the future of Borough High Street, on behalf of all:

* The BBC Action Network Campaign
* The Borough Market Trustees (who are supporting)
* The General Public Agency (who are also supporting)
* Other local groups who have expressed interest.

The meeting is being planned for September. The aim of the meeting will be to let everyone have a say in the future of the High Street:

On the agenda would be things such as (for example):

* Pavements
* Trees
* Linking green spaces and parks (Little Dorrit Park and the park next to St George The Martyr Church).
* Cycle ways
* Pedestrianising the slip roads (a) left of the Slug and Lettuce and (b) between St George The Martyr Church and the Park.
* Improving the preservation and promotion of the history on and around the High Street.
* How to make the Shard of Glass fit in with the Victorian and Medieval elements of the High Street, plus Borough Market.
* Preserving the human scale
* Ensuring the top of the High Street doesn't become too corporate, and that it keeps its character.
* Ensuring the sense of community continues.
* Derelict building frontages.
* Ensuring there is a flow between Borough High Street and the developments happening at the Elephant and Castle.

INVITATION!!!
It would be a good idea for those who support this campaign to put forward items for the agenda of this meeting. Please feel free to email them to post them here or on the BBC Action Network Campaign pages.
Wednesday 26 July 2006 10.06am
what a star you are Lizzie.
good going.

I have requested aa copy of the BHS audit from Living Streets and will post link when available.

I am really narked at what Guys and St Thomas NHS Trust is doing in this area. We do pay for the institution through our taxes and I'm miffed that they are happy to let BHS house their manky, ugly buildings. Their estates people have to consider building off the main site as important as those on it. (the inner courtyard at guys is lovely).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions