London SE1 community website

Improving Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 20
Wednesday 26 July 2006 7.14pm
Hi EasyRecall,

We are moving forwards :-) I am now trying to sort out the venue for the meeting. Hope to see you there with anyone else from this forum, by the way. Would be good for a posse from here to attend.

I see the Roxy has opened on BHS. Looks great and a nice thing to have on the street.

I agree with you that Guys and Tommy's seem to see BHS at nothing to do with them, when their acreage along BHS is quite large. Do you or anyone else know of someone to invite to the meeting in September FROM Guys i.e. the person who oversees their buildings/planning?

Lizzie
Wednesday 26 July 2006 9.44pm
Hi Lizzie

Great initiative. Some working pedestrian lights near Borough Market might also be useful?

Agree with the banning of naf hanging baskets though!
Tuesday 1 August 2006 10.32am
Lizzie

Just to clarify as residents could be confused.

The Community Council is called Borough and Bankside Community Council. There is no such organisation as Borough and Bankside Residents Forum. There is however the Bankside Residents Forum.

The work you are doing is brilliant and Bankside Residents Forum members would support this I am sure. Keep us informed of the date and venue of the meeting in September.

Good Luck!
Tuesday 1 August 2006 11.44am
Are the most neglected looking bits of the Guy's campus next to BHS actually run by the hospital trust or do they now belong to King's College London?

Edited to add: Having seen that work has started on the recladding of the boiler-house, I suspect that the hospital charity which funds most "nice to have" environmental improvements may be concentrating all their resources this year (and next?)on the Thomas Heatherwick designed scheme for Great Maze Pond.

But good luck with your BHS plans.
Saturday 23 September 2006 10.41am
Hi all,

The Shard of Glass is going to be started next year. This will have a huge impact on the top end of Borough High Street.

I have recently had a meeting with Adele Morris (last week) of the Bankside and Borough Council/Southwark Borough Council, and there have been emails and letters between myself and Alistair Hanton of Southwark Living Streets, and Southwark Borough Councillor Danny McCarthy.

As you will know, if you have been following the campaign to improve Borough High Street (here and on the BBC's Action Network), Southwark Living Streets and The General Public Agency are supporting the initiatives to improve Borough High Street. We are all moving forward on this together now, as a body.

It seems Transport for London have already published plans for Borough High Street and that those plans have been exhibited. It seems, however, that the local people who either live or work in or around BHS largely still remain in ignorance of what has been planned. I didn't see the exhibition myself.

TFL manage BHS from the London Bridge end down to Borough Tube. There is a published plan, but I have not, as yet seen a copy. More copies of the plans need to be available for all to see. A pdf or word document could be emailed around or posted both here and on SE1.

There seems to be much support (from the Councillors, from SLS, from The General Public Agency and others) for a public meeting and I hope to have more news on when that meeting would take place shortly.

So, things are happening and there will, very soon, be an opportunity to put your points of view to those involved. We need to make sure our voices and views are heard well in advance of the first diggings for the Shard. According to a recent article in 'The London Paper', the building infront of London Bridge Station will begin to be demolished in preparation for the Shard at the end of 2007.

The next step will be to present thoughts to Transport for London, and to any other bodies who ought to be involved, for instance, the Developers.

Finally, with the massive regeneration plans for the Elephant and Castle having been pretty much finalised, and with the Saint George's Church renovations reaching completion, it seems there is a 'hole' or gap of neglect between the southerly improvement plans for Borough High Street (when we find out what they are exactly) and the northern extremity of the planned improvements around the Elephant - that is the area just south of Borough Tube. It would be madness not to join up those two massive schemes.

Southwark Living Streets met up with Councillor McCarthy last Thursday evening. I was not able to be present, but I will update you all when I hear how that went. I know BHS was on the agenda of that meeting.

Lizzie
Sunday 24 September 2006 7.38am
i see the Flight Centre has opened up in BHS...that will cheer a lot of us up! however think its quite short sighted of them to be closed on Saturday.
Tuesday 26 September 2006 1.42pm
This may be of interest:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2348

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 26 September 2006 7.02pm
Fab James,

I will give it a go!

Lizzie
Thursday 26 October 2006 11.50pm
MEETING:

James has already put this in the diary but just to let you know:

Meeting to discuss the future of Borough High Street at 7pm, Tuesday 28th November, Queensborough Hall, Scovell Road, London, SE1

Please come and make your views known.

If you want to help, then email me and I will email you back the flier and/or poster about the event to distribute to anyone and everyone who is interested and who wants to protect what is probably one of London's oldest and most important thoroughfares.
[email protected]

Speakers:
Simon Hughes, MP
Councillor Danny McCarthy, Chair, Borough and Bankside Community Council,
Southwark Council,
Southwark Living Streets,
Transport for London

Lizzie
Saturday 28 October 2006 6.35pm
This is great stuff you're doing Lizzie. Thank you.
Will aim to be there. have emailed you to get some info for posting up in our block.
Current: 7 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions