London SE1 community website

Improving Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 20
Sunday 29 October 2006 9.42am
Transport for London have plans aright
I think its called Thames link
Sunday 29 October 2006 10.30am
also you said
It would be madness not to join up those two massive schemes.

you talk like you want to demolish the whole of the street.

The issue for Borough High St is how it can retain its character with all this change going on around it.
Sunday 29 October 2006 12.51pm
mickysalt wrote:
also you said
It would be madness not to join up those two massive schemes.

you talk like you want to demolish the whole of the street.

What a miserable, negative remark. I wonder if you could make an effort to understand the postings by LizzieJ and could possibly find something supportive to say in appreciation of the efforts being made to try to preserve and improve whats left of the original BHS.
Sunday 29 October 2006 1.37pm
Like I said

The issue for Borough High St is how it can retain its character with all this change going on around it.

I just think you can't talk about improving Borough High st with out mentioning the disastrous Impact of Thames link.
Sunday 29 October 2006 2.42pm
LizzieJ Quote:
one of London's oldest and most important thoroughfares.

It may have been historically, but visually and in practice it's not.
Why not re-cobble the street and add a few horse troughs, which could be used as litter bins.
And pass a by-law allowing residents (if there are any overlooking BHS?) to empty their bedpans out the window
on the cashpoint, bus, and sandwich bar 'queues' blocking the pavement.
Monday 27 November 2006 1.18pm
Just a reminder about the meeting tomorrow evening:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/1113

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 27 November 2006 7.43pm
Meeting to discuss the future of Borough High Street TOMORROW at 7pm, Tuesday 28th November, Queensborough Hall, Scovell Road, London, SE1

TO GET TO THE HALL:
Walk down Borough High Street on the right-hand pavement, going south. As you pass the Ship Pub, turn right, down Borough Road. On your right, fairly swiftly after a minor side road, you will see a big placard saying Scovell Estate with an alleyway to the right of it.

Go down the alleyway to the end and on the left you will see the community centre, behind what looks like a netball court with fencing. The entrance is on your left, just between the 'netball court' and the terrace of flats i.e. on your left. The lights will be on and there will be a poster guiding you in!

REFRESHMENTS PROVIDED: red and white wine, orange and apple juice.

And for your entertainment:

PRESENTATIONS:
* The current state of Borough High Street
* Future plans for the High Street
* Further information on the Urban Park which will be boarded by the High Street

SPEAKERS:
Simon Hughes, Southwark Council, Transport for London, Southwark Living Streets will all present thoughts.

HAVE YOUR SAY: You will be able to put your views directly to those who have the ability to change things.

See you there.

Lizzie
Thursday 7 December 2006 6.05pm
A very good meeting, all speakers turned up, along with around 125-150 people.

Presentations:

1. The current state of Borough High Street - post a 'Street Audit' (from Southwark Living Streets)

2. Councillor Danny McCarthy on the importance of the High Street historically and today (gateway to the City of London)

3. Transport for London spoke about their need to Balance the demands of the many developments and re-developments which will be going on over the next few years (Shard of Glass, Elephant and Castle).

4. Demonstration from Southark Council on the online 'Design your own Borough High Street' (see earlier in the campaign for where to find that).

5. Summing up from Simon Hughes, MP, on the importance of dialogue between all parties and the need to consider the locals during the huge upheavals which will take place over the coming years.

The meeting concluded with the decision to hold a further meeting to discuss problems and ideas in more detail. Transport for London agreed to take on board suggestions made at the meeting and to attend the next meeting along with all other parties involved.

So...watch this space re: the meeting in January! BBC London provided excellent coverage of the event which you can see online:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6194682.stm

Lizzie
Sunday 10 December 2006 11.14pm
well done for organising this. It needs people like LizzieJ to get involved.

feel free to rope me in for teamaking on the next one!
Kevin
Monday 11 December 2006 4.04pm
Hear Hear!

My job is such that I find it hard to attend evening meetings so sorry I couldn't make it - well done Lizzie
Current: 8 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions