London SE1 community website

Improving Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 20
Wednesday 7 February 2007 5.26pm
"...watch this space re: the meeting in January!"

Any news on this?
Friday 5 June 2009 9.43am
Original post: LizzieJ Thursday 4 May 2006 11.38am
Well, it's been exactly 3 years since LizzieJ started this thread on improving BHS.
North end of BHS is boarded up, and several other properties lower down empty, Post Office, Mayfair carpets;
Has the campaign hit the buffers?
Friday 5 June 2009 10.41am
I guess a lot hangs on the Thameslink redevelopment, doesn't it? But certainly most of the recent(ish) additions to the street - the amusement arcade, the pasty place, Subway - fail to inspire affection, and I'm a bit bored of the often chaotic scenes outside Belushi's and the not-quite-chuggers trying to tempt me to go on a business course.
Friday 5 June 2009 11.35am
and there are also the awful scaffold-covered properties up near the slug and lettuce. these places (owned by Guys) have been scaffolded as long as i can remember and have well exceeded the licence displayed outside
Friday 5 June 2009 11.51am
Time for a campaign......a few trees outside the S&L would give a nice continental feel. And as for all the street clutter...... I did attend a street audit some time ago, but I can't remember who organised it.....
Friday 5 June 2009 2.34pm
Something seems to be happening at the old BHS Post Office last time I went past.
Saturday 6 June 2009 1.23pm
Re. the dilapidated shops on the eastern side (Shoefayre et al) - the public exhibition for the Quill tower was held in the estates department of King's College London (the shambolic access arrangements are well described by RickB in this thread).

In the corner of the office I noticed a model of a proposed redevelopment of those buildings with a modern block behind the retained shopfronts.

The model looked like it might have been on the shelf for a while, though.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 16 June 2009 10.56am
I just remembered who I think organised the street audit.

It was

http://southwarklivingstreets.org.uk/
Tuesday 16 June 2009 1.05pm
one thing about this area that I find mental is the lack of crossings for pedestrians. If you come out of the wrong exit at London Bridge Underground you can find it pretty hard to get across to the market in amongst all the buses and taxis...
Tuesday 16 June 2009 2.16pm
Hi,

Yes, it was SLS (Southwark Living Streets) who did the street audit and they have been moving forward the item every month since then...nibbling away at the various bodies who oversee the street.

The problem is that the street has various 'owners' and interested parties such as Transport for London, Southwark Council, the people doing the Shard, those who are involved in the widening of the railway over Borough Market, Guy's hospital (the Shoefayre and other shop).

The Lib Dem members of Southwark Council are keeping Southwark Living Streets informed and whenever there is a chance to move on something or suggest something, suggestions are made. Everything is basically on hold until the Shard has finished and then these parties will begin to move on the High Street - improving it, softening it, improving the crossings and so on. At the right moment in time, there needs to be a consultation on how people visualise BHS and environs, before the work is done?

Guy's hospital are the people to complain about re: the two shops and the scaffolding - it's awful and it's dangerous as people walk in the road to get past when the route under the scaffolding is packed with people. The shops look awful. It's a disgrace. I have felt like putting a banner up several times to say 'how much longer?'.

Good to see that people are still concerned.

Lizzie
Current: 9 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions