London SE1 community website

Demolition of 1 Westminster Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Friday 19 May 2006 11.16am
Im not fighting a cause im just giving my honest apinion in this.
the building thats there has never been my most hated building.
Friday 19 May 2006 11.36am
that must be a huge relief for it

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 19 May 2006 12.07pm
Granted the new building they're going to put there isn't the nicest, surely anything is better than a half derelict, grafitti covered building that's been empty for 20 years?!
Friday 19 May 2006 1.08pm
I loved that "Frogmore regenerating Lambeth" sign.

It used to be by the sign that said that you were entering Lambeth which was a nuclear free zone. I heard that the Council auctioned the latter signs off. Unfortunately having decided to get commercial they did not seem to know when to stop selling.....
Friday 19 May 2006 1.26pm
Is it just me or is this new building incredibly bulky compared with what it replaces?
Friday 19 May 2006 1.31pm
http://www.countyhall.org/pdf/Island_Site_Newsletter_No_2.pdf states commencement on that date followed by a demolition phase of 20 weeks - or does that include what they've been doing already? Might not be an implosion after all (but I hope it is!).
Friday 19 May 2006 3.02pm
I thought it was one of the interesting themes of the Channel 4 Demolition programme that almost all the buildings that were hated were concrete. And where replacements were proposed they were almost always shiny glass. These even blander buildings when they deteriorate will surely come to be equally hated. I actually thought it was rather unfair that almost all the buildings that were held up for scorn were empty, derelict and graffiti-ridden - anything looks ugly in that state. With the concrete clean and the jolly blinds working 1 Westminster Bridge Road could be very acceptable. Although it never related very well to the ground and to the subways. I am fairly certain, however, its replacement will be no great cause for celebration.

Talking of monsters there is a proposal to build a 30-storey tower on the corner of Lower Marsh and Waterloo Road. Glass of course but with some sops to sustainability with photovoltaic panels and wind turbines.

And talking of bland there is a very dull redevelopment of 98-108 Lower Marsh being submitted. What's there could do with replacement but this lumpen proposal hardly fits the bill. English Heritage have tweaked the design but probably just with the effect of making it even more leaden.
JSG
Friday 19 May 2006 4.12pm
I have always liked the building - its fantastically brutalist, austere and a great contrast to the twee gothic pastiche of the houses of parliament. At risk of being a bit pretensious I think that the building was a great illustration of the side of Britain that is normally shoved out of sight. I would have liked it to be listed and restored. I even quite like the grafitti.

On a slightly different issue another picturesque eyesore is the building next to Tower of London which is decaying away rather prettily (we can see it from SE1 so it counts on this website) - how long before this becomes another shitey glass box?
Friday 19 May 2006 5.13pm
Ah, if you walk past it you can see that the developers have their sticky hands on it already - but no info about whether it will be "shitey" glass - lets hope not!
Friday 19 May 2006 6.05pm
A 1974 picture of the island block in pristine sparkling newness (with obligatory postcard Routemaster, but sadly not with the funky automated orange blinds down) can be found in the RIBA picture library at:
http://www.ribapix.com/image.php?i=19846&r=2&t=4&x=1

they also have a shot of the block under construction at
http://www.ribapix.com/image.php?i=19845&r=2&t=4&x=1
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions