London SE1 community website

Demolition of 1 Westminster Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Friday 19 May 2006 9.05pm
The old building tapers towards the top like a step pyramid which makes it less austere.and brakes up the shape.

The new building had flecks of colour ,that are attractive but they do nothing to camouflage the fact that its been bulked out to the biggest size they could get away with.
Monday 22 May 2006 6.32am
Hmmm, they're really packing them in, details on Lambeth's planning portal: 04/00456/CON

Demolition of the existing six storey building on the Island site to facilitate redevelopment of the site to provide for the erection of a hotel development comprising 743 hotel rooms, 2,553 sqm restaurant and cafe, 2,398 sqm conference facilities, 600 sqm leisure facilities, access, coach and taxi drop-off, service area, together with associated hard and soft landscaping and public realm improvements.

Although it appears this application may still pending permission, it's only the demolition that's been approved, so if you don't like it there may still time to comment.

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/publicaccess

-----------------

The automatic orange blinds sound intriguing.

It's also ironic that the annex was I believe for the London County Coucil architects and planners. Probably teams of people who dreamt up grand visions of the 60s such as Thamesmead and our own Elephant and Castle.

Did anyone work in the building, what was it like?
Monday 22 May 2006 12.00pm
looks like it is increasing in height again (now 953 rooms !!!)
see www.countyhall.org
Monday 22 May 2006 1.09pm
Having seen the picture of it when it was new, I now feel rather sorry for it....as someone said, any building would look unloved if it had been left to rot in the middle of a traffic island for so long without the benefit of the clean up that the Houses of P keeps getting to keep it looking spangly and honey coloured.

The thing that really bothered me is that the planners seem to be limited to a tiny number of architects at anyone time. Or, the architects seem to be limited to a tiny number of design motifs at any one time. Is this building almost exactly like the replacement for St Christophers House (Southwark Street) and the building on the Corner of Blackfriars Bridge Road & Union Street.

The triumph of London is its diversity - why do all buildings in any given 10 year period all look alike?
Monday 22 May 2006 6.14pm
kitreno wrote:
Hmmm, they're really packing them in, details on Lambeth's planning portal: 04/00456/CON
Demolition of the existing six storey building on the Island site to facilitate redevelopment of the site

That one is just the Conservation Area consent - you need to get consent to demolish any building within the South Bank CA, however modern.

I've just realised that there is a NEW planning application -
06/00684/FUL with related conservation consent application 06/00685/CON.

It appears that site notices for the former only went up on 12 May with letters to neighboring occupiers going out a week earlier - did anyone in County Hall receive one?.

Quote:
Demolition of the existing Island Block building and redevelopment of the site to provide a 15 storey (plus 4 basement levels) 953 bedroom hotel (Class C1) and ancillary uses including 2,291 sq m restaurant and cafe, 520 sq m gymnasium and swimming pool, 3,756 sq m conference/meeting facilities, 32 sq m retail , access, coach and taxi drop off, service area and associated hard and soft landscaping and associated works.

The suggestion of four basement storeys will require a very big hole during construction - I'm not sure exactly what is underneath the current building but that is a lot of concret to get off site.

It would probably require close scrutiny of the drawings to see how this differs from the extant planning consent 04/03717/FUL that was approved in September 2005. Will the trebling in size of the conference facilities all be accommodated underground???

Quote:
Demolition of the existing Island Block building and redevelopment of the site to provide a 15 storey 913 bedroom hotel, 1,877 sq m restaurant and cafe, 1,231 sq m conference facilities, 556 sq m gym, 29 sq m retail, access, coach and taxi drop-off, service area and associated hard and soft landscaping and public realm improvements
Tuesday 23 May 2006 6.41am
Call me sad, but here's some a couple of goodbye photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitreno/151745984/

Thursday 1100 - I might even get down there to see it go.
Wednesday 24 May 2006 1.21pm
it says in todays evening standard that Ken livingston wanted a 28 story tower there.

what a tit he really is.
Wednesday 24 May 2006 4.18pm
Mickey

Whilst I may not agree with you on everything, on that you are absolutely right!

Regards,

Loafer
Wednesday 24 May 2006 7.36pm
I don't think we'll be seeing an implosion here. This morning there was one of these machines:
which would suggest a traditional demolition.
Wednesday 24 May 2006 7.54pm
If you have today's Evening Standard, there's a piece on page 18 which says that demolition work starts tomorrow. Apparently it will take 16 weeks as the site is too central and too sensitive for explosives - shame for those hoping for a dramatic display. It also says that St Thomas's will be monitoring air pollution throughout the demolition programme and 80% of the debris will be recycled.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions