London SE1 community website

Demolition of 1 Westminster Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Monday 7 August 2006 8.34am
Hi Jackie,

Air-Deconditiong - It's a term used in newspaper articles from the 80s quoting DHSS staff who worked in Alexander Fleming house. The south block did have a better ventilation system, but costs where cut on the rest and the DHSS opted for black mesh screens on the sides of the building that got the most sun.

I'm being a bit of geek, but have been 'writing the archive', a project run by Better Bankside and the South Bank university. They're publishing everyone's articles in the Autumn on a website :)
Monday 21 August 2006 4.49pm
I adore this building and am really sad to see it go. When I was a child I used to dream of owneing it, and painting every level a different bright colour and fill every level with over hanging plants. I thought it would be amusing for the MPs in Parliament to have something so unorthodox and creative on their doorstep to remind them the whole world isnt grey. Guess I wont ever get the chance now, Im sad to see it go!

It has an interesting secret history too, lots of underground links. Lots to amuse a child!
Tuesday 29 August 2006 9.55am
and here's the latest photos, - I know I'm a 1 westminster bridge road geek :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitreno/227055736/in/photostream/
Saturday 9 September 2006 8.28am
I agree the building is full of secret passageways and the construction of the building was brilliant; columns 1.2m thick within the basement!
Friday 22 December 2006 4.56pm
Found some pictures of the inside of the old building before it was demolished - quite fascinating: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=675
Friday 22 December 2006 8.59pm
There's a certain irony that Nicholas Grimshaw's all glass Waterloo International Terminal finally gets a decent view from the platforms across the Thames for the last few remaining months of its life.
Saturday 23 December 2006 7.02pm
Agreed! Isnt it super! And isnt the view of the bridge super too....what a pity a bloody great tower's going to eclipse the whole thing before long.
Friday 6 April 2007 2.40pm
kitreno wrote:
743 hotel room
will28544 wrote:
looks like it is increasing in height again (now 953 rooms !!!)
There's now yet another new planning application to add an extra floor to the hotel taking it up to 1,037 rooms: details here.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 6 April 2007 5.01pm
Sneaky b*gg*rs.
Saturday 12 May 2007 4.27pm
Exhibition about the Island Block coming up at the Building Centre next month:
http://www.parabolatrust.org/island_block.htm

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions