London SE1 community website

Berkeley Homes development roof gardens?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
JQL
Friday 26 May 2006 4.14pm
I hardly think we can rely on the accuracy of their proposed image unless of course they plan to move the Belfast 100 metres so that it is conveniently in shot.

It is truly a stunningly original concept to have a large dome shaped attraction with actors and illusionists roaming around different rooms with different themes located on the banks of the Thames...why did no-one think of it before? Maybe the can call it the Millennium Mound?

However I will give them credit for winning support of rabid anti-capitalists such as Mickysalt for a theme park next to Tower Bridge just because they are going to put some grass and shrubs on the outside of a high rise building.

Maybe I should sell astroturf to Berkeley Homes...
Friday 26 May 2006 4.29pm
Maybe you should sell poison pellets to Berkeley Homes.
Friday 26 May 2006 4.53pm
Yes, great design. The shrubs and trees will create the ideal hiding place for drunks and rapists, no doubt intoxicated and titillated at our new local strip-club, to lurk.
Friday 26 May 2006 5.01pm
I followed the bbc link above and nearly died of horror. "The Hill" proposal is a glorified "disneyland" however they try to talk it up. Are we all to be treated like children in this vision of the future, what price intellect in the new sanitised Southwark. I'd rather see a giant lap dancing club than anything with magicians and illusionists prancing around an artificial hillock on the site of old river marshland that is FLAT, and should be kept FLAT. Rant over, it's been a hard week and I needed to vent........
Friday 26 May 2006 9.33pm
I cant speak for Invasions Media but one of the best things I'v ever seen in London was the Sultans Elephant this year..

we are entering a whole new era of technologically advanced allusion were the only limit is imagination. If that level of captivation and entrancement forms just part of the hill it will be amazing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A11357525
Saturday 27 May 2006 5.56am
I saw the giant elephant, (why, one asks,didnt it come to The Elephant?) and a bigger racket I never heart...was walking across St.James' Park on (one of the few) lovely balmy evenings and this noise absolutely deafened the birds and ruined the whole atmposphere. It should have been somewhere else other than The Mall.
Saturday 27 May 2006 8.00am
I thought "The Hill" was just one of the schemes by students at Chelsea College who took Innovsion's project for a "Potters Field Cultural Quarter"

http://www.innovisionmedia.co.uk/pottersfield.htm

I rather liked the image with the giant Smarties - all it seemed to be missing were some Teletubbies!
Saturday 27 May 2006 8.00pm
I'm very pleased if there is an alternative plan for the coach park, and a greener one at that, than the Berkeley daleks.

The TA has had support from Innovision in fighting against Berkeley's development.

Some things concern me though.
It says in the bbc link micky gave that it could be a centrepiece for the olympics!!

Does that mean its a temporary structure? For how long?

Secondly, there was recently some criticism on another thread about the mayor, with some people saying they did not trust him at all.

In that particular case I didn't agree with the criticism.

The bbc link also says that the Tooley Street TA's position on wanting to expand the park was 'unsustainable.' If it means environmentally unsustainable, I can't see how, its surely the greenest option.

If it means economically unsustainable, then that's a discussion which needs pursuing isn't it?
yas
Sunday 4 June 2006 8.46pm
I am very grateful that this site exists...

The images of the Hill seem a bit childish, particularly the amusement park slide on a cloud-looking shape on the top... However, I think the concept of a hill would be wonderful. It would be quite an unusual place and so far the best option to Berkeley homes, NCP parking or any other cultural butterfly statues I've seen. It does concern me, like Karene mentioned that it would be for the Olympics and I'd hate to see them abandon ship once 2012 was done.

I have to say... in principle, I am all for it!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions