London SE1 community website

Chair/Stair lifts. Legal advice

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Sunday 2 July 2006 10.44am
if someone on your floor objects, it would have to be for a good reason (ie, they may object on health and safety grounds, stating that the stair lift would make the available space on the stairs less, and could make evacuation in the event of a fire more difficult), just saying that they don't like it, shouldn't stop you. It's just like when people apply for planning permission for a 150 storey glass monstrosity next to your back garden, just saying 'i don't like it' won't get it stopped, whereas giving lots of reasons why it's a bad idea might. so lets hope they don't read this forum...
Sunday 2 July 2006 12.34pm
Well JonR, at the risk of langse1 going off on one, you DO know my stairs, and you know they are VERY wide but very steep. And the chairlift I'm looking at is tiny, and folds up like a cinema seat, and the rail will not go out beyond the existing hand rail, so that is a non starter. No the people who are objecting are just rather objecting types, and also they feel that if the stairs are too onerous one will just have to move out. I consider this unacceptable. I dont want to move house because I am not allowed to effect a simple, effective solution, which will inconvenience no one, at MY expense, because of some silly bureaucracy or spite.
Anonymous User
Sunday 2 July 2006 1.12pm
What if there is a fire and Jackie's mum is stuck inside.

There must be a way you can make this happen Jackie. I'm astounded at the barriers you are meeting!
Sunday 2 July 2006 1.56pm
Unfortunatey the Council are rather dozy (cant TELL you how many departments I was passed on to before I could get ANY answer to anything.) I am going to get an assessment from someone if it's possible but you'd be surprised how reluctant and how unconstructive the powers that be are - or maybe you wouldnt (be surprised that is).
Anonymous User
Sunday 2 July 2006 2.01pm
Have you had a Fire Risk Assessment done?

that might be a backdoor route to getting it approved? just a thought
Sunday 2 July 2006 3.35pm
The Lady Miss Jo Jo wrote:
Off topic: I agree with Birdie. I love this forum for the way it helps to build a sense of community, and also for the fact it has enabled me to meet so many people I'd never have met otherwise. It makes me sad that some people feel excluded because of frequent posters like me.
Of course Birdie is right, and I'm sorry if my message yesterday sounded harsh, but it's easy to be too self-congratulatory.

Essentially my point is that a few ill-chosen words can make people feel excluded rather than included, and although lagse1's intervention wasn't a masterpiece of diplomacy, she's right, because I hear the same things - directly and indirectly - from people who read this forum regularly but are put off from joining in by a perception of a clique. And that makes me sad too.

On the other hand, a couple of months back I went through every message posted in a 7-day period and counted the number of people who had posted messages during that time. I can't remember the final total but it was a much bigger number than I had expected.

I certainly value very highly the contribution made by the regular contributors to this forum, but we must all try to make sure that we don't unthinkingly shut out new voices from joining in.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 2 July 2006 7.29pm
Heaven forfend! On the contrary, more is merrier, better, nicer in every way. Come one come all is what I say. No one has ever been turned away on my say so, quite the reverse. I'm always sorry when people drop out and disappear. Mapmaker, Softhands, Daisyfire, they've all disappeared, alas. You cant blame we stalwarts that we possibly sound cliquy because we ARE stalwarts! But you know we always welcome new people, James.
Monday 3 July 2006 2.30pm
well Jackie, I really hope your neighbours see sense and let you provide the stair lift.
I don`t really see how they have any real grounds for rejection when you are willing to pay all the costs, also if this man can apply for one here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/5136316.stm

then surely yours is a given!
I would be very tempted to get my local councillor or MP involved if I were you. From my experienec I have found that a well placed letter really can give the people who need it a good kick up the bum!
Monday 3 July 2006 2.53pm
Thanks for this Jo. I've already got my solicitor on the case, he's coming over to "look at the site" on Weds. and as you say, a well placed letter or two should be helpful. But since I'm up against the dreaded Peverel, you never know. They are SUCH horrible people (On another note, the even more horrible St.George have somehow weedled there way past all objections and the new block is going up on our parking lot...do you think Peverel will give us a red cent compensation on our service charges? Dont bother watching this space).
Monday 3 July 2006 3.17pm
I've not tried it, but am told that solicitors letters to the council work wonders. (In the example I know of, the resident's request was probably not justified, but officials appear to have been effectively bullied by the headed notepaper.)

Interesting James thinks lagse is a she. Ages ago, if my memory is correct, she/he sent a helpful PM. Ever since then I have been trying to work out who lagse is. But had assumed she/he was male. Maybe I can have a clue.

More seriously I agree to some extent with James. I have worked in a number of different countries, and know all to well how much worse it is when you are on your own and, from the sound of a party or something, feel there is an exciting world that you are not part of.

I am happy to share the fact that actually most people I have met through the forum are...well...ordinary. Nice, but normal. And most of us are very pleased to meet new people. Indeed there are several people who I would love to meet. Starting, but certainly not ending, with Jan.

And again, Jackie is just how she sounds and really the best hostess.

Sarah
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions