London SE1 community website

Chair/Stair lifts. Legal advice

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 3 July 2006 3.24pm
Jackie,

Have you thought of just going ahead and putting the lift in anyway? My limited experience of these things is that they can be fitted quickly and with little disturbance or major building work. You make it sound like the one you want is very simple, structurally.

Just a thought. Good luck

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 3 July 2006 3.47pm
Well, I think all hell would break loose if I were just to install the chair although,a s you say, it's a couple of hours' work, no building requirements, and altogether the whole thing is SO inoffensive and unobtrusive, it's quite ludicrous that there is so much mayhem surrounding it. The neighbour who just "doesnt want it" complained about the pictures I hung in the hall, so I took them down, about my cats, so I farmed them out, and now he feels that having the stair lift will a)cause an obstruction on the stairs (absolutely not) and b) will be a negative if he wants to sell (Baffling. Why should it be?). And of course because he doesnt want to chip in financially, why should I have something he hasnt got? Well, you cant really do much about people who feel that way, but I hope that reason, the law, and the Council will prevail!
Monday 3 July 2006 4.03pm
put it in anyway, then let him complain afterwards
Monday 3 July 2006 4.04pm
Sounds to me like your neighbour is so unreasonable that you'd be quite justified in ignoring them completely and just going ahead.

Objecting to pictures on the walls? Do they prefer the institutional look? Maybe they should be in one......

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 3 July 2006 4.49pm
Jackie - was your neighbour put out by you not asking him about the pictures first?
If your lease forbids pets and you got cats, maybe that is what annoyed him?
I'm just trying to figure out what's getting his goat here.
Maybe he is feeling defensive because he thinks you have a "I'll do what I like" attitude, and that you've only asked him about the chair because he's had to pull you up on other things?

I can see that a chair lift might make the resale (ever so slightly) less attractive to a young buyer. If you expect a contribution from him to the cost, well, natuarlly as he doesn't want the stair lift, he'll continue to resist. That makes sense.

However, I think it should be possible to persuade him that the minor inconvienience to him of a stair lift pales in comparison to the extreme benefit it would bring to your mum. It may just be faster to appeal to him on an emotional basis. as has been pointed out, the DDA does apply to homes and you may a right to install it.

I certainly think it would be foolish to proceed without his agreement unless every possible avenue is explored first. Put it in anyway and let him complain afterwards?
Only as long as you want heartache with your neighbours as long as you live there.
Stay (or become) neighbourly and good luck.
Monday 3 July 2006 4.51pm
Well he is, but there you go. When I put up the pictures (of Caribbean beaches and palms, NOT naked ladies) with the permission of the management too...they appeared back from Australia and said they objected because they hadnt been asked. Well, they were in Australia werent they? But nevertheless, their complaint was taken into account more than the permission I had sought and received. So go know. Anyway, I've written to my councillor, I've got my solicitor coming on Weds. and I'm going for the jugular!
Monday 3 July 2006 5.52pm
I'm not sure how a stairlift could really put people off. It's not as if there's any real "design" quality or look in anything St George built when they did the conversion to mess up!
Monday 3 July 2006 7.43pm
This is exactly the point, easyrecall. I couldnt ask them about the pictures (a long time ago) because they werent THERE. They came back from Australia six months later! And made a fuss, who knows why. They were super pictures and totally inoffensive and everyone else loved them. But they got on their high horses and that was that. I'm not looking for neighbourly quarrels, hence I am going to try and get the law and the Council on my side and then hope that they will accept it. Oh dear, why does life have to be full of horrible quarrels?
Monday 3 July 2006 9.12pm
Jackie,
It sounds like you are going down the correct route consulting your solicior and good luck!

I am only 26 and wouldn`t object to a stair lift on our stairwell at all (i`m in a small private block)
infact it would of been useful to me recently as I fell and broke my ankle so have had to rely completely on the lift, one weekend when i was itching to get outside, it was out of order and there was no chance of me managing the stairs!
a stair lift would of come in handy, i would of course asked permission to use it. I really an dumbfounded trying to understand why someone would object.
Tuesday 4 July 2006 8.15am
Watch this space! And if you come to the Summer Bash at my place on 18th August, you MAY (D.V.) see the chair in place!!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions