London SE1 community website

Chair/Stair lifts. Legal advice

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Tuesday 4 July 2006 12.08pm
Jackie

I'm not trying to wind you up, but I'm baffled.
If people go away and come back six months later to find pictures they do not think are "super" have been placed on walls around thier home, are they really getting on a "high horse" when they complain? Can't you see it from their side at all? Didn't they just try to exercise their right to enjoy the property as sold/rented to them? Wasn't it the manegement at fault for telling you you had permission, when they hadn't checked with the owners/tenants?

When it comes to the stairlift, they are appliances with strong conoctations of old age (I know some young people need them them too etc.).

They will make a strong first impression on a buyer (as will the door, hallway, any visible artwork) which may be negative or positive (as with most features). For me, I'd see a stairlift and think great, aging neighbours means a peaceful block and low turn over. Someone else might think .... can I smell death???
Some people are really touchy about anything that reminds them of ageing/death and they want "young" workplaces and "young" blocks. I think its dumb, but I'm guessing thats what your neighbour means by re-sale value. Or maybe additional on-going maintenace cost worries him.

As I said before, I hope you get your stairlift and big up to old mums who rock on!
Tuesday 4 July 2006 5.22pm
Sorry Easyrecall but you have things rather wrong. First of all the famous pictures were only two, and were on the stair way not "surrounding" anyone's home. They were not anywhere near the said neighbour's actual flat and were just two paintings on a wall where previously there had been some reproduction Monet pictures (deeply unsuitable for a 1960's blockby the way). Next. THe chair lift is at MY expense, with MY responsibility, and MY maintainance, so no cost would be incurred by anyone but ME - I offered the other three neighbours a chance to to chip in so they could also use it (it is going to cost several thousand quid). Two flats are let - so the owners arent interested, and these neighbours are almost as old as we are, and indeed suggested putting in a chairlift themselves some years ago! Now they say "Oh well, we shall sell up if we cant get up the stairs and anyway we arent going to stay here". Well fine, but I DO want to stay here. I dont think anyone buying a flat in our - very mixed - block needs it to be "young" or "old" or anything else. If I were a young person with a disability would that make me an undesirable neighbour? Or an elderly person with difficulties. Rubbish. We are only four flats on our floor. And the only flats in the block with no lift. That's the point.
Tuesday 4 July 2006 5.47pm
Gosh

if that's your response to someone who's trying to help by not oferring a "yes" man response.
Rubbish.

Next.
Think I shan't bother.....
Tuesday 4 July 2006 6.00pm
Jackie sounds a bit like me on the subject of the park.

The Balance between being someone who cares, and so gets things done, and sometimes getting a bit carried away.

Hang on in there recall!

In terms of getting people to share costs etc, I have usually been lucky with neighbours. But it helps to approach it with a certain scepticism to avoid feeling let down. Indeed we probably irritated our neighbours when they clubbed together to paint the fronts of their houses, but we just did not have the money. Now everytime I see everyone else's smart frontages, I feel guilty. And am glad that no one has ever said anything.
Tuesday 4 July 2006 6.45pm
I'm perfectly ready to bear the expense myself if no one wants to participate...it's a lot of money but OK. These neighbours,by the way, could easily afford to chip in,they have a rather grand life, but fine, if they dont want to, I have no problem with that. But why stop ME? That's the question! Yes easyrecall, I think your reaction a bit extreme,but each to his own.
Wednesday 5 July 2006 10.00am
We have been tryin to get a lift installed for our (small) block. It's only 3 storeys but some find the stairs difficult. We have been led to understand that the DDA only applies to public buildings ie places that can be accessed by the general public which does not include private residences. I don't know how the management of Metro works, but any decision like putting in a stair lift on this estate would go to the Management Committee for discussion/decision. Do chair lifts make a noise? Could it be transmitted through the walls to annoy the neighbour - would that be grounds for being awkward? The last chairlift I was on was up a mountain in China where music was played on your ascent - sort of musical chairs.
Wednesday 5 July 2006 1.59pm
No the lift doesnt make a noise and anyway our concrete building is VERY soundproof and the stairs dont go near anyone's flat but mine...
Just had my solicitor over to "see the site" he agrees there is no reasonable reason for refusal, so the management are going to get a stiff letter from HIM.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions