London SE1 community website

Rubbish outside Chaucer flats 18-58

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 14 June 2006 2.29pm
Thanks James, I did some asking about the exact address yesterday and it is indeed Chaucer Drive and therefore mine!:-)

I have had a reply from the council who have agreed that they will remove the rubbish in the next 24 hours as a one off gesture of goodwill. So good news there.

Unfortunately, the situation is that the management company is responsible for either disposing of rubbish on their land or paying the council to do this.

It appears that if someone comes along and dumps their old fridge in your back garden, you become legally responsible for said fridge. If you decided to throw the fridge over the fence onto the pavement - at which point it is the council's responsibility - you can be prosecuted for fly-tipping even if you are not the original owner.

This, I agree doesn't seem awfully fair and I will try and track down the source of the legislation, but I'm not sure there is much that can be done about it. I understand that the onus is on the management company to reduce the possibility of illegal dumping on their premises.

Hope that helps...
Wednesday 14 June 2006 2.33pm
I have also been informed that they have noticed that there are two communal bins less than there should be and these will be replaced asap.
Wednesday 14 June 2006 3.04pm
http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article994037.ece
Readers might find the above article of interest.
Jac
Wednesday 14 June 2006 3.28pm
I am certain that rubbish charged by quantity would lead to an increase in fly tipping. It is afterall why it is so attractive for unscrupulous firms will pay cash for someone in a lorry to go dump their rubbish. Indeed whilst we had building works going on we had more than one person knock on the door and offer to dump our building rubbish cheap for cash. Needless to say I declined.
As for recycling this should be encouraged and made easier. In my new kitchen I have no less than three places for rubbish depending on its type and still have to find space for a big blue box in my tiny garden. Once one only had to find place for a pedal bin. When space is limited sorting of recylables by type is very difficult even if there a weekly dooor to door collection. Mind you if we were charged by quantity perhaps I would not be one of very few people who use reusable bags for their suppermarket shopping and perhaps we would start dumping some of the excess packaging on so much of our shopping comes in back on the supermarkets door. No bad thing!
Monday 19 June 2006 4.47pm
Hi folks, by an amazing coincidence, having obviously received missives from Helen JB, and a few nudges from me (including the Streetleader scheme and to Simon Hughes) and no doubt others, the fair lads of the Southwark waste collection team came and delivered two new bins for my lovely neighbours in the flats, took away all the rubbish and tidied it all up. Bless! However, that doesn't leave the Chaucer flats any further forward if it all kicks off again-or anyone else bothered by tipping outside the council's jurisdiction. Java
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions