London SE1 community website

Tate Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Monday 10 July 2006 9.55am
Just a shame that the stables/paper merchants was demolished in the first place; it could have been converted nicely into something with a bit of character.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 16 July 2006 4.02pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2264

Gosh !!!!thats sound like good news.to put it mildly.

I have to agree though,

what a shame they pulled the warehouse down. Its not like there are lots of them left.

Also lets not forget what Ken Livingston said out the opponents of the Tate Tower.

There not getting any help from me.
Monday 17 July 2006 3.00pm
I meant
said about the opponents of the Tate Tower.
Monday 17 July 2006 3.38pm
Did the developers' presentation give any hint how high the scheme will go immediately next to Hopton's Almshouses?

If they are giving up the Tate Tower site they'll have to cram an awful lot onto the site of the 1970s industrial premises.
Tuesday 18 July 2006 8.09am
Gosh I'm so jealous that people were able to stop the Tate Tower. No such luck here at Metro Central Heights. The Monster is due to start in a couple of weeks rising inexorably on our parking lot. The Council's refusal of St.George's idea to give us "on street" parking (where?) was sneakily overturned on some appeal which no one knew about and no one was invited to, and we are now going to be booted out of the parking lot for TWO YEARS. My Insurance comopany wont insure me, and 420 people who bought flats with parking are summarily being told that it's being taken, sorry for the inconvenience.....
Tuesday 18 July 2006 10.13am
So now this monster may never be built. I lived in Hopton St and was against this development from the beginning.If I had stayed and this thing had been built I would have had a wonderful view of a wall and daylight reduced to less than two hours a day being in it's shadow. I left but still felt very keenly about this for those who couldn't move.Ken loves his tall buildings but I bet not in his backyard!

What a pity that the last surviving example of a Victorian workshop on Bankside was sacrificed before this whole farce even got started. I remember the chimney being knocked down and being so angry. I'm even more angry now as the old building had potential to be converted for community use or possibly artists workshops without being trashed.That can never be now no thanks to English Heritage. But atleast the original greedy developers plans came to nought and there seems to be a glimmer of hope for something far more complimentary to the Tate Modern and for the people who live and work in Hopton Street.
Tuesday 18 July 2006 1.28pm
In response to Lang Rabbie, the model shown at the consultation retained quite a lot of space between the alms houses and the new buildings. At a rough guess I'd say only very marginally smaller than turning/loading area of the yard as it is at present. The highest tower at 24 storeys is at the far end of Holland St. nearest to the 'Blue Fin' building.

The planning gain on the site they are hoping to achieve is probably best considered in overall sales value rather than actual square metres. My impression was that the developer considered it was fairly straight forward to 'win back' the 22m by a) adding a few extra floors and b) having an agreed (perhaps) lower ratio of affordable housing on the site by Southwark Council than would otherwise be the case.

Meyer Bergman have taken reservations for some units in the unbuilt tower starting at 1,000 per sq.ft. It is not hard work out that at that level, just adding say 20 units (which could be just 4 or 5 floors over all four buildings)to the holland street scheme would make up a lot of the difference.
Tuesday 18 July 2006 1.29pm
Greedy developers...please read Berkeley/St.George. These horrible people are going to put their massive tower on the only space between Metro Central heights and the railway, take down about twenty trees, block the sun from all the people who bought flats in good faith six years ago or so, and then try and cram a lot of poor key workers into flats which will shake every time the trains go by....UGH. No thanks to John Prescott.
Tuesday 18 July 2006 4.18pm
Thanks for the information, bod42zx.

I suspect they will be able to get away with quite a lot of height behind the Tate, given the scale already set by Bankside 123.

Last week, I was standing on the southbound Thameslink platform at Blackfriars for the first time in months, and realised with a shock just how vast (and boring!) Bankside 123 actually is when seen from the north bank as well as from Southwark Street.
Tuesday 18 July 2006 4.35pm
I agree about the distance views of Bankside 1 (B1) being disappointing especially when compared to the new Allsop building opposite Southwark Tube which changes colour throughout the day in an interesting way. Views of B1 may improve at night when it is occupied and will certainly be overshadowed by the H&DeM Tate extension when it is built in front of it.

Re: Jackie, my personal view on the Holland St./Hopton Tower business is that GC Bankside should be praised rather than criticised for this plan, as should Southwark Council. No-one wanted the 'Tate' Tower, least of all the Tate who took the massive gamble in the first place to open there (other locations were looked at)and then found their success being brutally taken advantage of. GC Bankside could have submitted an application for Holland St. without any reference to 44 Hopton St. and probably gained planning for something similar anyway in terms of height and scale. I do sympathise with your struggle with B. Homes and having seen the site, I agree with your views there.

Finally, I forgot to metnion that I overheard at the consultation that discussions were at an 'advanced' stage for Tesco taking the large commercial unit on the ground floor at Bankside 1 for a 'Metro' store.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions