London SE1 community website

Tate Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 18 July 2006 7.45pm
It looks pretty boring from waterloo as well.
Monday 31 July 2006 4.44pm
So it's officially shelved now.
I wonder if Richard Rogers had something to do with this.
I like the way his buildings that will get built behind the Tate modern reflect the coloration of the brick work. And don't try to complete with the extension.
I Think Richard Rogers has more integrity than Norman foster.
And wasn't frightened to recognise that a block of flats in the entrance to an art gallery wasn't a good idea.

I wonder if he will design the polvilion . for the paper warehouse site.
Monday 31 July 2006 5.30pm
I wish Nicholas Serota had been there to campaign against the Monster about to go up on the Metro Central Heights parking lot.
Thursday 9 November 2006 2.57pm
For anyone still interested in the outcome of the proposals for Hopton & Holland St., the planning committee meets next week (14th) to consider the application.

Having read the planning officer's report, it looks marginal whether it will receive universal support from the powers that be. Although it is recommended for approval by the officer, the Mayor describes the original application as 'unacceptable in strategic planning terms' so Southwark Council may grant permission only for the Mayor to direct refusal at a later date.

In additon to saying he 'does not accept' the low level of affordable housing, he argues that the cost to the developer of acquiring 44 Hopton Street should not be taken into account as to the scheme's viability. I suspect this may be a statement of policy rather than opinion as it would have implications for planning decisions throughout London if allowed to set a precedent.

However, it appears that further affordable housing has been provided for since the initial application so the Mayor's view may change. Expect further horse trading prior to the 14th...
Thursday 9 November 2006 4.00pm
I don'r realy understand what your saying.

Is the mayor saying the Original Tower as opposed by the Tate
modern was strategically Unacceptable , or is he saying that
about the new plan.
Thursday 9 November 2006 4.12pm
TomLR wrote:
If this requires a separate thread please let me know (James) - but does anyone know what the progression is with the the 'hat' that is proposed for the top of the Mustard - coloured tower (Piers Gough / CZWG) opposite the Tate & Tate Tower ?
Planning inquiry for that proposal is due on 28 November.
(If anyone has anything more to say about the Bankside Lofts proposal a new thread would be a good idea for clarity)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 9 November 2006 4.19pm
mickysalt wrote:
Is the mayor saying the Original Tower as opposed by the Tate modern was strategically Unacceptable , or is he saying that about the new plan.

The latter. Planning report:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/uploads/file_23801.pdf

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 10 November 2006 3.47pm
Niall Connolly wrote:
Mickey said, ".....and Southwark council took some time to come round to the idea of the globe....."
Factually not true...

In the nineties Southwark Council ran up legal bills of 7m trying to avoid providing Sam Wanamaker the site for the building of the Globe theatre. They wished to preserve the site's use as a depot for refuse lorries.
Saturday 11 November 2006 1.07am
If the politicians had had there way Bank Side Power Station would have been demolished and replaced with flats ,and the Glob Theatre would be a slag heap.

No wonder the turnout at elections is going down.
Wednesday 15 November 2006 10.07pm
This is going to public inquiry in Dec. If you want to object then get your letter into the Planning Inspectorate asap.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions