London SE1 community website

20 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9
Wednesday 21 June 2006 10.38am
But what chance is there that this building will ever see the light of day given Southwark Council's fairly recent decision to remove Blackfriars Road from the list of areas suitable for tall buildings? I would have thought that it would be very difficult for a skyscraper like this to receive planning permission in those circumstances. Can any planning experts help shed some light?
Saturday 24 June 2006 8.57am
More pics in this thread -

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=364490&page=3

See post #46 onwards.
Wednesday 14 February 2007 3.05pm
Land Securities have put in a planning application for a 23-storey commercial tower and a 42-storey residential tower on this site.

Details here

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 14 February 2007 4.17pm
The Planning Consultants (DP9) are the ones who are helping change the City skyline, looks like the are head south now!!!!
Friday 16 February 2007 4.19pm
Please excuse me if I am missing the obvious but can anyone direct me to photos/CGIs (not the architect's model) of the proposed buildings at 20 Blackfriars Road? I have followed the links found in previous posts to no avail. Thanks.
Friday 16 February 2007 4.42pm
I am trying to get hold of an image or two but no joy yet. Watch this space.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 16 February 2007 8.31pm
bod42zx wrote:
Please excuse me if I am missing the obvious but can anyone direct me to photos/CGIs (not the architect's model) of the proposed buildings at 20 Blackfriars Road? I have followed the links found in previous posts to no avail. Thanks.

Sorry, that link has since changed. The thread URL is now as follows:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=389557

Note however, those are just models of the previous design, not the current proposal.
Sunday 18 February 2007 8.20pm
re: wjfox 2004

i guess you are therefore in a similar position and haven't seen or obtained any CGIs of the proposal either then.

for conspiracy theorists: intersting that there appears to be a press black out on images, which is unusual for schemes of this size - i wonder why?

secondly, given their development history, 'land securities' are very unlikely to 'build out' residential. they will probably try to obtain planning and then sell it on.

could the two be linked?
Monday 19 February 2007 7.35am
Conspiracy theories indeed lol.

I'm sure they will release images within the week. They do with all their schemes so no reason why they wouldn't this time.

Land Secs Cardinal Place scheme was a mixed used incorporating office, retail & residential elements. There new oxford St Scheme is also mixed use so I don't see why they would sell on the residential element of this one.

Its also markedly shorter than the previous designs for the site so wouldn't be to controversial & is 25m shorter than the Beetham scheme next door.
Monday 19 February 2007 11.15am
True - although I heard that the experience of completing the Cardinal Place residential (more than 18 months ago now, I think) influenced their decision to offload Bankside 4 to GC Bankside (GCB) for 25m. That price looks like a steal now considering the planning consents GCB has subsequently achieved.

Slightly off-topic but they (LS) waived quite a significant chunk of their overage entitlement on Bankside 4 in view of GCB's purchase of 44 Hopton Street, which helped to make the whole scheme viable and more importantly had Southwark planners on their side.

As we know, Southwark Council were vehemently opposed to the 44 Hopton Street tower all along, so I wonder if 20 Blackfriars Road ever came up in discussions between the three parties?

I would also speculate that LS always thought the 20 Blackfriars Road site would be commercially profitable as offices and are now taking a longer view on the market and the current office projects pipeline in the City. In the meantime the price for residential has rocketed, so it makes more financial sense for them to go in that direction. Whether they hold and build it themselves, we'll see (if they get planning.)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions