London SE1 community website

20 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9
Tuesday 20 February 2007 1.59am
The original office scheme at around 200m would stand no chance of planning permission (pp) in the current climate so to split the site in to a smaller office tower & residential tower would probably stand a better chance of getting pp. As you say , theres quite a bit of office space going up around here so they have probably looked at it & thought we could make more money with mixed use particuarly with the premium attached to high rise residential apartments. It also adds a bit towards the local communtiy. They & Southwark would be more accepting of a scheme that isn't just purely offices.

Personally I think this & the Beetham scheme will add a bit of drama & life to Blackfriars St which it currently lacks considering its a prime wide straight road in the heart of London. The current drab post war offices blocks do nothing for the street & area which afterall is the gateway to Southwark from the North bank.

I would imagine images would be released soon & Wilkinsons Eyre , the architects are very good so lets hope its good.
Thursday 1 March 2007 3.52pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2595

Reminder: exhibition tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 2 March 2007 8.34am
Dont know how much drama we need in Blackfriars Road, and I'd reserve judgement on this scheme till there's a CGI of what is going to replace the existing site. (The pub looks very charming but obviously you cant make an omlette without breaking eggs). But those towers sound VERY high....
Friday 2 March 2007 10.07am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
But those towers sound VERY high....

Not particularly. The tallest will be around the height of nearby Kings Reach and the LWT building.
KM
Friday 2 March 2007 11.44am
I'm with Jackie on this one, all these buildings are TOO tall for area. I don't share Ken Livingston and wjfox2004's enthusiasm for these buildings - it'll be Grand Canyon on Thames if they all get planning permission! One of the reasons I'm moving out!
Friday 2 March 2007 1.12pm
KM wrote:
I'm with Jackie on this one, all these buildings are TOO tall for area. I don't share Ken Livingston and wjfox2004's enthusiasm for these buildings - it'll be Grand Canyon on Thames if they all get planning permission! One of the reasons I'm moving out!

You don't even know what they look like yet. What if they turn out to be a beautiful, elegant, high quality design like the Gherkin; something that really enhances the area? I've worked around Blackfriars Road and quite frankly it's an absolute dump, one of the most depressing places in central London.

Once again, it seems people are rejecting these towers purely on the basis of how tall they are - even though several other buildings of similar height already exist in the area, and they aren't THAT tall.

"Grand Canyon on Thames"... lol. If they were building about 15 or 20 skyscrapers all the way down the road, I might agree with you. But we are talking about a couple of moderate-sized towers here, in the middle of a huge and bustling city, in a prominent location that's clearly in need of regenerating.

And by the way, I don't support every single tower proposal that comes along - I absolutely *detest* the Potters Fields scheme, along with 20 Fenchurch Street and several others. But I happen to think the northern end of Blackfriars Road has great potential for new business/retail/residential, and would be an ideal place for some high-density mixed use redevelopment. Let's be honest it's a really shabby, depressing stretch of road at the moment.
Friday 2 March 2007 2.56pm
I agree, let's see the CGI and then pass judgement.Not that CGIs dont generally pretty up the whole effect,but at least one can get some idea of proportion. And the pub IS pretty, seems sad to junk that.
Friday 2 March 2007 2.59pm
Not quite so nice for those of us who live at the north end of Blackfriars Road. What with the proposed Beetham's Tower, the 230 Blackfriars Road site, the 20 Blackfriars Road site and the current Wedge House site, we're looking at about 10 years of building misery.
Friday 2 March 2007 4.33pm
I dropped in to the exhibiton earlier. It's very hard from the material they've made available to visualize what the building will look like. Most images and the model are strangely opaque with no indication of cladding or finish.

Contrast that with the 'up front' CGIs of the Beetham tower from the outset, and you wonder why Land Securities are keeping it under wraps.

Having said that I don't think the scheme is too bad, unlike Land Sec's 'walkie talkie' but that is another thread altogether...
Friday 2 March 2007 4.42pm
I was struck by the proximity of the commercial tower facing Blackfriars Road to the Great Portland Estates development (240 Blackfriars Road) opposite - you will have two tall, flat frontages directly facing each other across Blackfriars Road.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions