London SE1 community website

20 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
Tuesday 6 March 2007 4.14pm
Exactly. This all-or-nothing approach is just silly. Of course a city must develop and grow, although I'm always so sad that cleaning and upgrading the exising buildings, as they did in Paris, isn't encouraged in London. Soon London is going to be unrecognisable, and I cant quite see the benefit of that. THings dont have to be preserved in aspic, but a lot of what's happening now is wanton vandalism and careless, ignorant building.
Tuesday 6 March 2007 5.11pm
It's fair to say, I think, that most of the new buildings conceived by these much-feted architects lack the visionary qualities of the work of, say, Wren or even John Price (St George the Martyr), so it would be a shame if they obscured their achievements. The proposed development at 20 Blackfriars Road is the brainchild of Wilkinson Eyre, whose work to date in London includes, for instance, the King's Cross gas-holders and Stratford station.
Wednesday 7 March 2007 10.11am
Fair point Jackie. And your solution is?
KM
Wednesday 7 March 2007 11.09am
kmitchell wrote:
Fair point Jackie. And your solution is?

Just say NO and mean it!
Wednesday 7 March 2007 11.44am
KM wrote:

PS - Anyone else see the BBC News this AM? Something called the Walkie Talkie is seeking planning permission on the north bank and it will block and obscure views of St Paul's and The Tower. Think I'm becoming more of a building luddite every day!

That is grossly inaccurate.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=871
Wednesday 7 March 2007 11.52am
wjfox2004 have you read the officer report for this building???
KM
Wednesday 7 March 2007 12.58pm
What is inaccurate, will it only block part of them? It is, however, an accurate report of the BBC's item.
Wednesday 7 March 2007 1.24pm
In agreeing with KM, Jackie says: 'This all-or-nothing approach is just silly.'

KM says: 'Just say NO and mean it!'

To say 'no' is to do nothing - unless you say 'yes' to something else.

It's the 'something else' I can't see here.

I still think my tree-lined esplanade would be lovely... with all those 63 buses lining up for us, each with a smiling driver, dressed in an Hawaiian shirt and whistling a happy tune.
Wednesday 7 March 2007 2.10pm
Which officer's report, pops?

What I know is that 20 Fenchurch Street won't block St Paul's or the Tower of London AT ALL.

I'm no fan of the design, but I'm disgusted by English Heritage and their constant over-meddling in the planning process - ever since their involvement in the Heron Tower and LBT public inquiries, they have shown themselves to be a complete joke.

I adore St Paul's and the many other historic aspects of London, but I can tell you for a fact, English Heritage are doing FAR more harm than good to London's development. They are wasting time and money that could be much better spent on saving other things. Low-rise buildings like More London, Tower Place and the Thistle Hotel do substantially more damage to London's urban environment than any of the current proposed skyscrapers could ever do. Look at the new extension to Unilver House as well - a horrible green glass block that's just been finished. Only 5 storeys but actually manages to obscure parts of St Paul's when seen from Waterloo Bridge. It's these kind of developments that EH should be concerned about, not the world class skyscrapers in the central core.
KM
Wednesday 7 March 2007 4.03pm
Fair point kmitchell, shorthand posting can only lead to disaster. What I of course should have done was wait until I wasn't in a hurry and said:- Just say NO to planning applications that don't take full account of the ramifications of the finished building on the local area, the general environment, local residents and existing facilities and MEAN it! No loopholes allowed.

It's obviously also bad when the BBC blindly repeat something EH have fed them (if only I'd know they were the source) and then idiots post them on a local Forum - sorry WJ

Mine's the first round when those 63's you keep dangling in front of us start flowing.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions