London SE1 community website

20 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9
Wednesday 7 March 2007 10.35pm
wjfox2004 wrote:
Look at the new extension to Unilver House as well - a horrible green glass block that's just been finished. Only 5 storeys but actually manages to obscure parts of St Paul's when seen from Waterloo Bridge. It's these kind of developments that EH should be concerned about, not the world class skyscrapers in the central core.

Ahem! Unless something has changed dramatically since the planning application, the new design by Kohn Pedersen Fox actually reduces the height and improves views of St Paul's! That's how they got planning consent.

They are taking away the 1970s plant rooms that previously rose above the roofline of the original Burnett Tait and Lorne building, and IIRC getting rid of the blank portland stone walls at the end of the three rear wings that were previously such a prominent feature from south of the river.

Cross-section here
Wednesday 7 March 2007 11.05pm
Of course in an ideal world, the top two storeys of Unilever House and the even more intrusive copper clad top three storeys of Faraday House in Queen Victoria Street would be demolished.
Friday 9 March 2007 1.30pm
This is the green lowrise building I'm talking about.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/GazKinz/P2260017a.jpg

How did it ever get planning permission?
Monday 9 July 2007 8.56am
The trade press has reported this week that Land Securities have sold the site to overseas investors for 90m.

The 'Estates Gazette' specualtes that it may have been due to the uncertainty as to whether planning consent for the two towers would be forthcoming as 'Southwark Council has yet to decide whether the area is suitable for high rise schemes.'

I wonder (given the sales price) if in fact it is the other way round and they've had the nod that planning will be granted?
Thursday 27 September 2007 11.01am
As someone who lives out in the wilds of SE26, I have only just discovered this forum, and I have also only just discovered the Paper Moon public house at 24 Blackfriars Road. I am told there is petition started to save this wonderful old Victorian survivor. Does anybody know who is running it?
London is losing so many of its old pubs that we should be fighting to retain the few that remain. Whaever new development goes ahead at this site, the builders should be forced by Southwark Planning Department to build AROUND this pub. It is practically the only Victorian pub left on the whole of Blackfriars Road.
Does anybody agree with me?
Has there been any campaign or local newspaper coverage about saving this pub?
Thursday 27 September 2007 11.13am
Do you mean the Mad Hatter Pub (which is being built around) because I cant see anything worth savings about the Paper Moon?!
Thursday 27 September 2007 11.33am
I've not been in the paper moon but I do think its a pretty building (one of very few on that road) and I will be sadened to see it demolished
Saturday 29 September 2007 1.14am
The Mad Hatter will be saved. The Paper Moon sadly won't. I agree there are too many pubs being demolished in London... something like 5 a week at the moment, or so I read. At this rate there won't be any left in a few years.
Thursday 17 January 2008 4.45pm
This is coming to planning committee next Tuesday. The officers' report is here:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/uploads/file_32529.pdf

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 23 January 2008 1.39pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3112

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions