London SE1 community website

20 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9
Wednesday 23 January 2008 5.12pm
So pretty much everything here is either approved or under construction now -

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/wjfox2005/Skyline-2012.jpg

Just waiting for the verdict on Doon Street (which I suspect will win the public inqury).
Wednesday 7 May 2008 9.09am
As expected Hazel Blears has called this one in for inquiry too:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3289

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 7 May 2008 10.31am
Don't you just love the British planning system. So streamlined and uncomplicated. Developers must feel really confident about investing in London.

/sarcasm

So that's Doon Street, Beetham Tower, 20 Blackfriars, and the Shard of Glass, all gone to PI's. What a waste of time and money.
Wednesday 7 May 2008 2.41pm
Planning inquiries are not necessarily a waste of time or money. As I understand it the system is there so that plannning applications which have an impact on the wider community can be looked at outside the local planning system.

It seems to me reasonable for applications for tall(so called landmark) buildings which will be visible over a wide area of London to be called in for inquiry.

That doesn't mean that I agree with all the decisions that Planning Inspectors make......! But I do think the system is there for a reason.
Saturday 10 May 2008 9.22am
Peter Bill, editor of Estates Gazette, writing in yesterday's Standard, says: "The chances of these three [Beetham and the two 20 Blackfriars Road towers] ever being erected was no more than 50-50 by March - and are close to zero after the call-in."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 10 May 2008 8.47pm
That part of the river between the Tate modern and the south bank centre is a planning disaster area.

The last thing it needs is tower blocks,
Ludgate house needs to be pulled dowen,
and I would like to be able to see Big Ben from the top of St Pauls (Tourist would as well)which would mean demolishing the ITV building
And kings Reach.
Saturday 10 May 2008 11.43pm
mickysalt wrote:

which would mean demolishing the ITV building
And kings Reach.

Well, looking at this panorama I would say just the ITV building...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=531899

... and not Kings Reach ;-)
Sunday 11 May 2008 3.52pm
you almost sound like you half agree with me there.
Sunday 11 May 2008 6.11pm
Yes - I would support the demolition of the ITV Building, if it meant you could see Big Ben from the balcony on St Paul's.

I don't support the demolition of Kings Reach. All it needs is a reclad (which hopefully it's getting in a couple of years - see pic below).

And I fully support the Beetham Tower, 20 Blackfriars, and 240 Blackfriars. This is a prominent location, right near the City and the West End, yet it feels so dilapidated and rundown. Thankfully it's undergoing regeneration now. However, the towers are facing PI's.

Given the choice between:

(a) stumpy, fat, ground-hogging office blocks (like Bankside & More London),

or (b) a trio of slim, soaring, futuristic towers

or (c) keeping the area as it is (i.e. depressing, lifeless and drab)

... I know what I'd choose.
Sunday 11 May 2008 11.54pm
wjfox2004 wrote:
Yes - I would support the demolition of the ITV Building, if it meant you could see Big Ben from the balcony on St Paul's.

Now that ITV are embarrassing Norman Foster by showing how awful his tower behind Liverpool st station looks next to St Paul's (as viewed form the south bank )every day on there London news .Norman foster will probably want ITV moved as well.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions