London SE1 community website

20 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9
Monday 12 May 2008 12.23am
mickysalt wrote:

Now that ITV are embarrassing Norman Foster by showing how awful his tower behind Liverpool st station looks next to St Paul's (as viewed form the south bank )

But the view is only transitory. You only have to walk a few paces north or south, and the tower no longer appears behind St Paul's.

The low-rise Unilever House extension, on the other hand, is vastly more damaging - it actually appears directly in front of the cathedral from numerous views.
Monday 12 May 2008 7.42pm
The low-rise Unilever House extension

I agree its an abomination.
Monday 12 May 2008 7.59pm
hurrah!
Monday 12 May 2008 8.01pm
mickysalt wrote:
wjfox2004 wrote:
Yes - I would support the demolition of the ITV Building, if it meant you could see Big Ben from the balcony on St Paul's.

Now that ITV are embarrassing Norman Foster by showing how awful his tower behind Liverpool st station looks next to St Paul's (as viewed form the south bank )every day on there London news .Norman foster will probably want ITV moved as well.

Norman Foster doesn't have any towers built behind Liverpool St Station. I wish people would get there facts right without spreading misinformation.
Tuesday 13 May 2008 12.37pm
lambeth lad wrote:
mickysalt wrote:
wjfox2004 wrote:
Yes - I would support the demolition of the ITV Building, if it meant you could see Big Ben from the balcony on St Paul's.

Now that ITV are embarrassing Norman Foster by showing how awful his tower behind Liverpool st station looks next to St Paul's (as viewed form the south bank )every day on there London news .Norman foster will probably want ITV moved as well.

Norman Foster doesn't have any towers built behind Liverpool St Station. I wish people would get there facts right without spreading misinformation.

It looks like one of his, however who designed it isn't the point

Also , I don't know what Susan G going hurrah for , I've always said small building can be crap as well,
That doesn't let the big ones of the hook.
Tuesday 13 May 2008 12.52pm
The hurrah was for the fact that mickysalt for once agreed with wjfox2004.
Tuesday 13 May 2008 8.12pm
Well, Ken Livingston clearly didn't care whether St Pauls was cropped off in a perfectly straight line along the bottom, which is clearly not in the spirit of creating a pleasant view.

And despite what wifox says, the tower block behind Liverpool st station does blight St Pauls at an important point on the river side at st Gabriel's wharf where there are all those jetties for people to walk out on to and admire the view ,
And I cant imagine Ken Livingston championing the idea of being able to see Big Ben from the top of St Paul's cathedral,

Which is why if ken Livingston had been re-elected I would have been tempted to make a wax model of him and stick pins in it.
Thursday 29 May 2008 1.06pm
The inquiries into 1 and 20 Blackfriars Road have been combined:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3328

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 21 August 2008 10.09am
Public inquiry website: http://www.persona.uk.com/Blackfriars/

Thursday 11 September 2008 2.15pm
The public inquiry started on Tuesday:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3487

If you're at all interested in the various Blackfriars Road schemes it's well worth dropping in to the inquiry venue (Tue-Fri approx 9.30 to 5) as there is a lot of well-presented material on display - models, images, plans.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions