London SE1 community website

Replacement Windows

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 21 June 2006 9.31am
Can anyone recommend a godd company who could replace my rotten wooden windows with aluminium ones? Thanks.
Wednesday 21 June 2006 1.30pm
Clement steel windows in surrey? i think there was a branch in spa road...dont know if they are still there?
Wednesday 21 June 2006 1.32pm
Thanks, I'll see if I can find them.
Wednesday 21 June 2006 2.03pm
don't know where you live Susan but if an old property you will need to check if in a conseration area and if so may be rules on the type of window you can have- a friend of mine got in to trouble when he replaced some old sash windows as the new ones were not the right type
Wednesday 21 June 2006 2.11pm
I am in a conservation areaand a listed building. I have spoken to the planners at the council and they say it should be OK. Thanks.
Wednesday 21 June 2006 5.48pm
If it's listed you won't be able to replace wood with metal, besides which you will need listed buildings concent. I know would takes more looking after but IMO it looks much beter than metal
Thursday 22 June 2006 11.38am

Whilst aluminium frames might seem like a good idea they are expensive if you want to avoid cold-bridging which happens with a solid aluminium frame. To avoid this the frame needs to be split (inner face and outer face with an insulator between) and this is expensive.

I'm also surpised that the planners say that you can replace sash frames with aluminium in a Conservation Area. You are being misinformed and maybe you need to check with the conservation section of (I'm presuming) Southwark Council. Which Conservation Area are you in?

The best option would be to replace the existing frames with hardwood versions. You don't need to use double glazing and double glazed units will make the glazing bars too thick. Single glazing with inner shutters and curtains do as good a job and look more in keeping.


Thursday 22 June 2006 11.52am
They are not sash windows, but a wall of glazing which opens onto a seventh floor roof terrace, which can only be seen from the air. I have spoken to somebody at the council who knows my apartment well and he doesn't think there will be a problem. I will be having thermal break aluminium if allowed, if not I will have hardwood. A precendent has been set in the listed building nextdoor to me, and opposite me. Thanks, I'll let you know what I end up with.
Thursday 22 June 2006 10.41pm

Which Conservation Area?


To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions