London SE1 community website

Elephant shopping centre even uglier

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 29 June 2006 9.09pm
The Elephant website says that TfL have to carry out further traffic modelling (presumably to do with removing the southern roundabout) before then can finally decide to proceed.

I would have thought they could sort all that out before the announcement or between then (it was January) and now myself. I'm sure we'll hear more about it in due course.
PJ
Thursday 29 June 2006 9.31pm
Thanks for the information. Do you have the web address for the Elephant web site?
Thursday 29 June 2006 9.40pm
http://www.elephantandcastle.org.uk

The link to the subway news is down the right-hand side.
PJ
Thursday 29 June 2006 10.00pm
Cheers!
Thursday 29 June 2006 10.25pm
I wrote a note to Coun. Lorraine Zuleta querying why this seemingly fairly simple project was taking so long, and urging some pulling-out of fingers. No reply as yet. Is there some way in which we could mobilise visible impatience on the part of all local residents, to try to impart a sense of urgency to the powers that be?
Thursday 29 June 2006 10.41pm
Does anyone know whether planning enforcement action was taken against the vanished adverts on the shopping centre???

IMHO they were much less of an eyesore than the hoardings in the traffic islands.
Thursday 29 June 2006 10.53pm
Paul T:
when I was a student (a long long time ago...) some of us got fed up with waiting for the council to put in a zebra crossing at a place where one was quite obviously needed, so some bods went out in the night with some white paint and painted one on the road. The next day there was a constant procession of students backwards and forwards across the 'crossing', causing traffic chaos - definitely a mobilisation of visible impatience! It was not long until a real crossing was put there.
(I should point out, in the interests of health and safety, that the road concerned was a lot less busy than the Elephant is today)
Friday 30 June 2006 11.28am
The ads on the centre weren't too bad I guess, certainly a lot better than the gaping holes that have been left now they've been removed!
PJ
Sunday 23 July 2006 9.16pm
I was wondering if Paul got a response from Lorranine Zuleta about the incredibly slow progress on the crossings?
Sunday 23 July 2006 11.20pm
Noticed that the holes where the billboards were have been patched up, and any red left of the cream bit has been painted over.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions