London SE1 community website

Allotments

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Wednesday 10 October 2007 4.41pm
Paterson Park isn't too far from me. I'd love an allotment, or half shares in one.

If you have any contact details ramsaystreet, I'd be grateful if you could pm me.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 18 February 2008 2.58pm
A new London Allotments website has been launched today, complete with postcode search to show your nearest allotments:

http://www.london.gov.uk/allotments/map/?query=SE1

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 1 April 2008 1.18pm
This thread is quite old. Has anyone any updates on allotment availability in the area or had any luck in securing one ? I wrote to the Bermondsey and Rotherhithe society about 6 months ago and didn't receive an acknowledgement although I assume my name is on their waiting list.
Tuesday 1 April 2008 1.45pm
At Canada water station as the bus pulls in at the end of the horsehoe bit actually inside the station, there seems to be a fair sized plot behind the fence that has nowt but weeds in...wonder if that would be available for anyone here? and who owns it?
Tuesday 1 April 2008 2.03pm
The Chair of Tabard Gardens South Tenants & Residents Association is planning a community allotment project - started last Sunday by planting 8 apple trees in green space on Manciple Street where old nursery used to be (opposite Huberd & Tabard House)- more activities upcoming.
You could email [email protected] for info or come to next meeting on Tuesday 22nd April at Hankey Hall at 7pm. Meetings are 4th Tuesday of the month - same time same venue.
Tuesday 1 April 2008 3.03pm
My experience with writing to Bermondsey and Rotherhithe to be put on the waiting list for an allotment is the same as martinr's.

In retrospect, I should perhaps have supplied a stamped, addressed envelope, but I casually assumed that the Council/GLA would fund such semi-official matters in which they are involved.

Considering that I received 16 versions of a Planning Application at various versions of my name and home address last week, it is entirely possible that Southwark Council has run out of postage funds!
I have been contacting them to consolidate these occasional confetti-shots for 18 months, but to no avail!

Question for Southwark. To communicate with your Council Tax payers, the correct amount of letters is:

(a) None
(b) 16
(c) 1
?

As is so often the case, the answer is obvious, but the implementation by our Council is anything but
Tuesday 1 April 2008 11.17pm
For anyone around or in the Bricklayers Arms part of SE1/SE17 there's always gardening projects going on in the area. BATRA (the local Tenants & Residents Assosciation) are active in maintaining the park, flower beds, wildlife area, and smaller areas which are set aside (at the moment) as "orchard" or other growing areas.

Not quite an allotment I know, but if it's a green fingered experience you're after, then PM me and I'll keep you posted.

And of course, don't forget you can join forces with your friendly local eco/horticultural-activists c/o www.guerrillagardening.org
Monday 9 June 2008 1.02pm
We will be holding our first vegetable planting day on our Community Allotment site this Sunday afternoon (15th June) - more details here:
http://www.tabardgardens.org/

Deirdrem wrote:
The Chair of Tabard Gardens South Tenants & Residents Association is planning a community allotment project - started last Sunday by planting 8 apple trees in green space on Manciple Street where old nursery used to be (opposite Huberd & Tabard House)- more activities upcoming.
You could email tra-south@fsmail.net for info or come to next meeting on Tuesday 22nd April at Hankey Hall at 7pm. Meetings are 4th Tuesday of the month - same time same venue.
Monday 9 June 2008 1.42pm
As Chustler suggests, if it's the green-fingered experience you're after, don't forget about BOST (Bankside Open Spaces Trust)either - www.bost.org.uk

They're always looking for volunteers and have quite a few ongoing projects around the borough: Mint St. Park, Redcross Gardens, the Diversity Garden, Christ Church (Blackfriars Road), and many more. They have after school clubs, family gardening Saturdays and lots more going on.

One of their projects was featured in the Independent on Sunday magazine last weekend ( see http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-urban-farmer-one-mans-crusade-to-plough-up-the-inner-city-836358.html) although it did contain several errors, and I happen to know that Channel 4 is about to do some filming for 'Dispatches'on the same project. I suppose it's because food and its sustainability is such a hot topic at the moment.

I am now involved with three of their projects (on a volunteer basis)and can't tell you how satisfying it is when the only outside space I have is a small balcony. I can't believe I didn't get involved before. This is the time of year when many hands are needed on deck and they're a great bunch of people!

Oops, not sure how to make the links work!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions