London SE1 community website

Morocco Street Stopping-up (2004?)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 3 July 2006 2.20pm
Does anyone take an interest in that part of Morocco St which was the subject of a 'stopping up order' a couple of years ago. The order was granted on the basis that the part of the roadway to be stopped up would be turned into a public access area.

I've just found a dimensioned drawing of the stopped-up part of Morocco St if anyone is interested in checking that Galliard have fulfilled their obligations.

Regards

Niall
Wednesday 5 July 2006 4.05pm
At the risk of sounding dumb...what do you mean by a 'stopping up order'?
Thursday 6 July 2006 2.06am
Morocco St used to be a Public Highway to the west, beyond its current extent as it ends at the Galliard Homes development. Galliard Homes requested that Southwark Council apply for a 'stopping-up' order so that what was 'public highway' could become privately owned land, on the basis that the roadway itself was redundant.

A 'stopping-up' order is the only mechanism that I believe exists which can erase a designated public highway or part thereof.

The quid pro quo was that Galliard would then landscape this piece of land and maintain it as a public space.

I have just found a dimensioned drawing of the roadway as it was and wondered if anyone was interested in checking that Galliard had done their part.

Regards

Niall Connolly
Jac
Thursday 6 July 2006 2.12pm
If I have understood you correctly Naill yes they have. You can now walk to morroco street from Long Lane.
Thursday 6 July 2006 7.08pm
Although you do have to face down a ridiculous number of security cameras. I did wonder whether the developers consciously bought an apparently oversized model and/or some dummy ones in order to reinforce the impression you are trespassing when actually you aren't.
Saturday 8 July 2006 12.45am
Probably but I guess we should be grateful that one development isn't gated (yet).

Niall

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions