London SE1 community website

Initial opinions about the Bermondsey area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 5 July 2006 6.56pm
The Garrison is the best gastropub in the area IMHO. I go there a lot and am not a dweeb.
Wednesday 5 July 2006 10.34pm
According to my dictionary:

Dweeb
"A boring, studious or socially inept person"

Origin: Perhaps a blend of 'dwarf' and 'feeb' (a feeble-minded person, [early 20th century])

(Mac OSX Dictionary, 2005)
Wednesday 5 July 2006 10.59pm
Well according to my dictionary (barky's bumper book of lovely words) Dweeb: adj. The noise a goat makes when it smiles.
Friday 7 July 2006 11.50am
bottles being poured into a lorry -- possible. but god it sounds much louder than that and i'm in the back of a building. Also, would that really be occurring at that hour? heard it again last night between 3:30 and 4. i thought about a bakery, which might get going around that time, but i live down near the dweeb pub, so that shouldn't be it. i will get to the bottom of this.
Friday 7 July 2006 12.48pm
if you live near a pub, then it could be bottles, the last person still working in the early hours, putting the empties out.

it could be your own personal mini hailstorm every morning.
Friday 7 July 2006 3.07pm
Bermondsey Street IS noisy. I used to live above the post office about three years back and the noise never bothered me in the day/evening, but after a year of being woken up at 4am by the deliveries downstairs I either had to move or invest in eye wrinkle cream. The trouble is now living on the river further on from the design museam, you wouldn't belive what the ducks and geese make at 4am. Frankly ear plugs is best and to hell with the fact I never hear my alarm clock.
Friday 7 July 2006 4.59pm
albertobalson wrote:

The Thorburn Sq. area is very quiet...never get worken up on Alma Grove!
GC
Monday 10 July 2006 3.08pm
Hi Yorker -we've just moved into Bermondsey ourselves although been working here for ages [hence the move]Used to live on the river where stunning views but disco boats/rubbish barges/sirens disturbed hot nights. Here I keep hearing bird song at 3 am ish which is quite magical. Other night though was woken by jets into Heathrow at 04.10 -have checked and they're not supposed to start until 04.30 but most [16 allowed between hrs 23.30 -07.00]are between 06.00 & 07.00. Great foodie places around but quite pricey. Taken to Roast [Borough Market] other night -amazing!! Definately for special occasions.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions