London SE1 community website

Best Indian in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8
Thursday 13 July 2006 4.54pm
"can anyone reccomend an indian in the area?"

My friend Ajit is handsome, tall and owns his own house.
Thursday 13 July 2006 5.00pm
is he the 'Best indian in SE1?' though?
Saturday 15 July 2006 11.46am
really not impressed with the Spice Lounge...very conventional prepared sauces no flavours just trad curry slop...Simply Indian on tabard street is much better really good quality and an original menu..the food tastes freshly prepared...recommended
Monday 17 July 2006 10.58am
Cafe Silka is indeed excellent (though some way from being in SE1). I'm a big fan of Thames Tandoori opposite Waterloo as well, it's a little bit different (I think they're Bangladeshi).
Anonymous User
Monday 17 July 2006 11.28am
There must be more than one Silka. Certainly one in SE1.
Monday 17 July 2006 7.05pm
90% of so-called "indian" restaurants in britain are actually bangladeshi. these are the ones that peddle pretty awful and conventional fare...the flock wallpaper and chicken tikka marsala experience...does anyone know of any genuine indian restaurants that cook their food fresh and to order? we need them!
Tuesday 18 July 2006 9.33am
Birdie wrote:
There must be more than one Silka. Certainly one in SE1.

There is a Silka by Borough Market, I've never been there and it is not related to the one in Rotherhithe. I think the spelling is actually different, one of them has an extra K or an extra L, but I'm not sure which.

As regards Bermondsey Tandoori, I was fairly disappointed, althought they did great Onion Bhajis!

Mystery of Spice is worth a visit, but their menu is fairly standard and unadventureous.
Tuesday 18 July 2006 1.59pm
thanks for all your help!!!!!!
Tuesday 18 July 2006 10.18pm
boroughmark wrote:
90% of so-called "indian" restaurants in britain are actually bangladeshi. these are the ones that peddle pretty awful and conventional fare...the flock wallpaper and chicken tikka marsala experience...does anyone know of any genuine indian restaurants that cook their food fresh and to order? we need them!

I think you have to poke around Southall or NW London for the real Indian spots. Doubt they'd deliver this far.

Maybe its a market opening for an enteprising person who wants to save us from generic slop passing for indian food.
fh
Wednesday 19 July 2006 2.48am
It really depends on what kind of "Indian" food you like. The Indian subcontinent is vast and the cuisine varies radically from north to south. For example South Indian food uses a lot of coconut (The fish curries are excellent) and they do great dosas (sort of crisp crepes with mostly vegetarian fillings). If you know what to order Rasa Samudra on Charlotte street has a few delicious curries on its menu (and some I wouldnt order again in a hurry) but it can be a bit expensive.

North Indian and Pakistani food favours barbecued meat and kebabs, karahis and tandoori. Even daal which is a staple on most tables across India and Pakistan has a dozen different varieties. Indians also like to eat more vegetables with their food whereas Pakistanis are heavy on the protein.

I've tried a lot of the Wembley restaurants and some are very good and some are really mediocre. What I would suggest is some place much closer. East London has its share of basic no-frils no booking Pakistani restaurants with absolutely superb food. Try Tayyabs (you can read a review at http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,1476932,00.html)and if Lahore Kebab House is as good as it used to be a few years ago then it should be on your list (I havent been for a while but it's known in the Pakistani community as one of the solid places around). Both the restaurants are in E1, exceedingly good value for money. Dont go looking for great atmosphere or fancy decor. This is great food for which you have to queue up.

Hope this is of some help! I thought you might like to hear a few suggestions from a Pakistani about a few authentic options.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions