London SE1 community website

Best Indian in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Wednesday 19 July 2006 10.57am
my brother works just off Brick Lane, and he recomends Tayyabs too
Monday 24 July 2006 8.30pm
Hello Pec,

SIMPLY INDIAN is quite simply the best Indian around here. It's on Tabard Street and the menu is diverse and always incredibly fresh, not like a lot of the greasy rubbish you get right on the high street. Recommend the tiger fish starter.. You can take your own drinks in which is a bonus.

Does anyone know if there are any good kebab shops that do shish kebabs? Wouldn't go near a donner if you paid me, but a good skewer of nice chicken on a grill you can't beat.. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks! Angie

Angie
Monday 24 July 2006 9.18pm
Try Tower bridge kebabs. West side of TBR just south of the Hartley.
Tuesday 25 July 2006 7.07am
fh wrote:
It really depends on what kind of "Indian" food you like. The Indian subcontinent is vast and the cuisine varies radically from north to south. For example South Indian food uses a lot of coconut (The fish curries are excellent) and they do great dosas (sort of crisp crepes with mostly vegetarian fillings). If you know what to order Rasa Samudra on Charlotte street has a few delicious curries on its menu (and some I wouldnt order again in a hurry) but it can be a bit expensive.
North Indian and Pakistani food favours barbecued meat and kebabs, karahis and tandoori. Even daal which is a staple on most tables across India and Pakistan has a dozen different varieties. Indians also like to eat more vegetables with their food whereas Pakistanis are heavy on the protein.

I've tried a lot of the Wembley restaurants and some are very good and some are really mediocre. What I would suggest is some place much closer. East London has its share of basic no-frils no booking Pakistani restaurants with absolutely superb food. Try Tayyabs (you can read a review at http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,1476932,00.html)and if Lahore Kebab House is as good as it used to be a few years ago then it should be on your list (I havent been for a while but it's known in the Pakistani community as one of the solid places around). Both the restaurants are in E1, exceedingly good value for money. Dont go looking for great atmosphere or fancy decor. This is great food for which you have to queue up.

Hope this is of some help! I thought you might like to hear a few suggestions from a Pakistani about a few authentic options.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!
Tuesday 25 July 2006 8.04am
Had one last night, strictly speaking kennington lane ...smashing...Taste of India it's called.
Sunday 30 July 2006 9.09am
And again, delicious...they deliver to.
Sunday 30 July 2006 10.08am
OK so it's not in SE1 but if you are ever peckish while on the Bethnal Green Road not too far from the station, there is always the Lahore Express - no booze I think, but rather delicious food. And very very cheap. The place looks a bit like a cross between a Wimpy Bar and an american diner. We like it. And a bit further away from the station on the other side of the road there is a very good turkish place on a corner, which looks v. ordinary but is excellent and serves turkish tea and salad with everything.
Sunday 30 July 2006 11.06am
Another vote here for Tower Bridge Tandoori - tried it last night and the girlfriend and I loved it. Excellent, friendly, informative staff; nicely decorated place with a good atmosphere and freshly cooked, tasty food.

Chris
Sunday 30 July 2006 11.11am
Simply Indian on Tabard St. is not the bog standard Indian. It is better. The ingredients are top class, no artificial colours & good service. Both eat-in & out
Monday 31 July 2006 1.22pm
The Bengal Clipper on Shad Thames is probabaly the best in the area. It's a bit posh, but the food ace and the menu is far from standard.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions