London SE1 community website

Best Indian in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Monday 14 August 2006 12.57pm
i will second that, me and mrs right had a wicked meal in there a few saturdays back, posh and expensive and the pianist knows some oasis tunes but very good food, although i am not an expert
Friday 25 August 2006 3.10pm
Mumbai on Dockhead is just the best around!
Bengal Clipper quality without the awful service at Bridge Tandoori prices!!
Friday 25 August 2006 3.28pm
Mumbai is now my favourite takeaway!
They are fast - never get lost, and the food is great. Portions aren't as big as Silka (also good), but I like the taste better.
Sunday 27 January 2008 9.18pm
RichieMadano wrote:
I'm a big fan of Tower Tandoori on Tower Bridge Road and also a little further afield, Cafe Silka on Albion Street, by the Rotherhithe Tunnel.

I just had a takeaway from Tower Tandoori after reading this forum. I must say it was the worst Indian (and experience) that I have had.

It starts off being quite a bit more expensive than other Indian places - but I just realised they overcharged me UK4.00.

I had the Murgh Makhani - which was sickly sweet and full of sugar and a Lamb Tikka which was just ok. The naan bread was barely cooked.

Maybe I had a very bad experience and it was a one off. I normally just pick one based on the flyers and get delivery so I don't take much notice of the names - so sorry I can't give you the names of some of my favourites. But I would never go back to Tower Tandoori based on my experience when there are so many others to choose from. I only went there because my wife had thrown away the flyers to my favourite Indian joints in a recent clean up (doh!).
Monday 28 January 2008 10.10am
I use Simply Indian for takeaway, but have rather lost faith in it. People keep saying good things to me about Cafe Nawaz, but I'm on a diet at the moment so haven't tried it yet.
Saturday 1 March 2008 4.43pm
The best Indian joint in SE1 is defenitely Tower Tandoori on TBR, they know what theyre doing! the food, service, ambience, decor and management are all of very good quality.

ive been going to TT for the past 5 years and have not experienced a bad meal...ive met the chefs, they come from all over SE Asia, india, Banglades and Nepal...the restaurant is run by 2 bros and their father...who pay alot of attention to detail...from the toilets to a valentines message board!!

ive had deliveries...not once have i hd a problem...they always say 45-60mins, but i always get a knock on the door after 30mins...not bad hey!

also, they have these special charity nights and tasting evenings etc...where u meet local faces who u always see but never say hello to!

ive been invited to their 30th anniversary gala dinner...which im sure will be a good night! a restaurant established in Bermondsey over 30 years ago...im sure you all agree the have an edge over others!

there is also a good indian restaurant in Blackheath...not in SE1, i think its called Khan's??
Sunday 2 March 2008 7.49pm
james78, forgive me if I've misjudged but you only registered yesterday and all three of your posts have been singing the praises of Tower Tandoori, with mostly the same text... some may say this looks a little suspicious!
Tuesday 2 December 2008 6.48am
Try the Ivory Arch Restaurant/Take Away @ the Elephant & Castle, they have a good delivery service, the menu is modern with old classics and a great Vegetarain section.
Tuesday 2 December 2008 8.50am
I've been to Tower Bridge Tandoori a few times, but only in desperation. When you absolutely have to have a curry and travelling more than a 100 yards is out of the question. I've enjoyed myself, but the food is no better, and largely no worse, than thousands of other Indians all over the country.

SE1 and environs South of the river definitely lacks imho a genuine Indian restaurant of any sort. Tayyads is worth a trip across the river but is not for dining, just eating.

If you're prepared to hop on the tube, Kastoori in Tooting is a wonderful Southern Indian veggie place. The spicy tomato curry would be an item in my last supper. I have never had a single bad meal in over 15 years of going at least once a month. And it remains cheap. You can also go to Deepaks Cash & Carry on Garratt Lane and grab the stuff to do it yourself. For fine Indian food at a reasonable price I would totally recommend Origin Asia on Kew Road in Richmond. OK it's a long way, but it is worth it. The food is outstanding, fresh, cooked in front of you, and the menu contains things I have seen on no other Indian menu. I absolutely love the black lentil dal. The staff are welcoming, friendly and know their menu. In addition the restaurant is cool, especially if you can get a seat on the top level, and worth lingering in. I have never been to a better Indian restaurant anywhere, and it would rank in one of my top ten London restaurants of all sorts. It's not cheap, but it's not expensive, and it's definitely worth nurturing friends in that neck of the woods so that you have an excuse to go and a place to stay afterwards. Would that both were in SE1, I'd be fatter, but more content!!
Tuesday 2 December 2008 8.59am
I used to live in Barnes and in Twickenham years ago. The quality of food in most of the Indian restaurants in west London now seems brilliant in retrospect, though I took it all for granted at the time. I particularly remember a place in Teddington (though not the name of it!) which was very good. When I first came here I was very surprised at the low quality of Indian restaurants, though I have now found one or two in East London.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions