London SE1 community website

37 degrees gym

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 33
Saturday 20 October 2007 9.49pm
Have tried a few gyms in the area from fitness first to holmes place on the strand but the only one i have stuck with , no contract , joining fee and a pleasure to use is the Colombo Centre just off blackfriars road and close to southwark underground station :

http://www.colombo-centre.org
Monday 22 October 2007 9.42am
That looks interesting, ninja999 - it's rare (and refreshingly transparent) to see a gym with its membership fees openly advertised on its website. Cheap, too.
Monday 22 October 2007 10.36am
The Colombo Centre is cheap because it's a charity. I go there. It's a great place, but don't expect any frills at all. The machines are functional. The facilities are varied but, again, functional. There's no cardio theatre, no cafe, it invariably has Kiss loudly on the radio, the changing rooms are sparse. I love it there because it's a no messing, no showing-off gym. The staff are all very pleasant.
Tuesday 4 December 2007 5.36pm
The Gym has not improved since this first post - in fact it has got much worse.

Most of the mens showers have been closed for the last 2 months. Lets hope that improves the smell of sewage in the changing rooms. The main problem with the showers is that if you want a work out in the morning or at lunchtime there is a huge queue which causes me too much delay. The staff just dont seem to care less.

A lot of the machines are now defunct and don't seem to be repaired or replaced. For example, over the last 6 months the TV screens on most of the running machines have stopped working.

The weight stacks on the machines are suffering the same lack of attention to detail. Some have been converted to kg others are still just numbered.

The work out area is just too small which means the machines are really crammed together with only one of each machine. at busy times you just cant get onto the equipment.
Saturday 19 January 2008 2.11pm
Hi does anyone know if theres a forum for discussing the new 37 degrees gym in Olympia west london or if anyone has encountered problems there with their so called free personal training session offer upon joining?
Saturday 19 January 2008 2.15pm
I also hear that some members are getting cheaper membership fees for corporate membership and also because they mentioned that they had a cheaper rate at their previous gym. Is this true?
Monday 4 February 2008 11.38am
Hello - I know this thread has been going on a bit, but on whole, is this gym OK. I can handle a big " pack em in" style gym, so longs as it's clean ....

I'm leaving cottons fitness first, tooley street as the swimming pool and changing rooms are a disgrace. I was sick for days after swimming in the pool...

cheers
Monday 4 February 2008 6.31pm
Hi, I use the pool at 37 degrees couple of times a week (incl. a swimming lesson with a trainer) and quite like the gym. My wife uses a personal trainer there twice a week and the machines too, and she also likes it. I used to be at Cottons also, but left about a year ago - it was just too grim.

I only really use the gym off-peak, and so can't comment about how busy it gets during the day.

I took them up on the offer of a free personal training session and did indeed get a free swimming lesson.

All in all seems pretty good to me. Check to see if they offer a corporate discount (if applicable) which helps with the cost a bit. Paying 12 months upfront too saves a bit of money.
Tuesday 5 February 2008 11.13am
SE1 Kid, which trainer do you use for the swimming lesson? I use 37 degrees several times a week and was looking for someone who could set up a swim programme for me...

In response to Elliot - I've found 37 to be perfectly fine. I noticed today that the tv screens on some of the running machines aren't working, but the range of classes and facilities, and the cleanliness of the womens changing rooms (can't comment on the other ones!) is what I would expect. I like that there are always plenty of towels and shampoo/conditioner so i don't need to bring my own, too. I'm not sure if they have had new management recently, but they do seem like they're genuinely trying to sort any issues as they arise (their mics and music equipment for spin classes are a case in point - the first time i went it was just a portable cd player, and now there is a proper system - the choice of music by the instructors is another story tho!)
Saturday 9 February 2008 12.53pm
Hi - I agree with alot of the comments. When I joined last year, I had a great staff member who really got me enthused about working out and then she left because of her poor pay - despite the fees that we pay...

The lack of working hair dryers makes it impossible to go in the mornings - they seem to buy the cheapest hair dryers when they know they will be used constantly. The cleanliness is also a problem - and yes, the slippery surface around the pool.

But the location and the actual facility are fab - I just don't understand why simple management matters can't be resolved.
Current: 11 of 33

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions