London SE1 community website

37 degrees gym

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 33
Thursday 21 December 2006 2.18pm
As far as I know neither translates to an English saying. However, it means that it pays to be honest. I love Lang Rabie's which is very eloquent.

Luckily the Dutch are not typically known as liars - let's please keep it that way
Thursday 21 December 2006 3.06pm
A bit of Googling suggests it may be from Proverbs 12:19
"The word of truth lasts forever, but lies last only a moment"

Thank-you LR for making me think a little. More Goggling finds this exlaination:

Proverbs 12:19

"An honest man always tells the truth. He does not exaggerate or embellish facts. He takes pains to make sure his claims can be proven. If he cannot prove a matter, then he does not speak or offers only an opinion. Because his word can be trusted, men put more and more confidence in him, until he is established with an honorable reputation for integrity."
Thursday 21 December 2006 3.33pm
Thank you!
Thursday 21 December 2006 9.50pm
Let's hear a round of applause for Johan Oosterling.

Without your honest and subjective input to this forum, I would have joined "Topnotch" this week - lucky escape for me and my cash!

Now that I have checked out his thread and your comments - I will be staying away in droves.

We Brits have a saying for your underhand input...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Own_goal

Happy Xmas!
Friday 22 December 2006 12.05am
Can one person stay away in droves?

I wouldn't join now either.
Friday 22 December 2006 5.45pm
I, myself and me plan to stay away in a collective drove
Saturday 23 December 2006 6.32pm
I actually rather liked TopNotch. Maintenence was a bit poor towards the end of the summer and the swimming pool heating breaking down and not being fixed was not good but the only thing that really bothered me was the awful music and constant terrible misogynist gansta rapper "music" videos where you couldn't use the treadmills or crosstrainers without constantly having some dopy "Ho's" tits and arse shoved in your face which I absolutely came to the end of the line with. It wasn't even good music to work out to and so loud I couldn't hear my iPod. That's the main reason I left in the end. And it was costing me 55 per month.
If the maintenence in the womens changing rooms had been better and the music and videos less awful or better yet totally absent so eveyone could bring their MP3 players and choose their own I'd probably have stayed on, especially if I could have got the 45 per month quoted elsewhere in this forum which I was never offered.
Sunday 31 December 2006 12.53am
i agree the music and videos are godamn awful... so-called topnotch tv is pumped through the place, even in the showers and its nothing but the kind of rap and crap 14 year olds listen to...as a gym they need to modernise the equipment, completely refurb the mens changing rooms and put on some decent classes
but its cheap.....
Tuesday 2 January 2007 5.56pm
I was a member of Topnotch London Bridge unfortunately, found the equipment outdated, pool dirty and not very inspiring.
I joined 37 degrees as a founder member and absolutely love it. The staff are really friendly, classes brilliant and the gym is really coming on after the few teething probs they had in the beginning. Def the best gym I have ever been a member of. Rates are a probs the most expensive in the area but well worth it!
Wouldn't go back to Topnotch if they paid me to use their gym especially after their manager has been so sly!
Friday 26 January 2007 12.56pm
About the 37 degres gym prices and contracts...
I don't understand why they insist on a 12 months contract. They are not a mobile phone company that needs to recoup the cost of the handset they give you. It would be such an easy decision to join if they offered a month-to-month membership - I would probably join and stay a member for two years because I knew I could stop my membership if my circumstances changed.
My advice is to look for a gym that doesn't tie you in; in many gyms you can negotiate a better contract but remember to get a signed statement.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 33

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions