London SE1 community website

37 degrees gym

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 33
Monday 16 July 2007 11.26am
It's been a while since anyone reported on progress at 37 degrees. Am interested in whether things are improving, as I toying with the idea of joining.
Monday 16 July 2007 12.34pm
It is much improved now, there seems to be a better management team involved and problem of classes not happening as scheduled seems to have been resolved, so I would definately recommend it now. They have sorted out a lot of the issues that were discussed previously on this thread.
Monday 16 July 2007 1.17pm
its good. i am realy pleased having escaped the mess that is topnotch. good clases, clean changing rooms, pleasant competent staff
Tuesday 17 July 2007 2.00pm
I joined on a More London discount and overall am very pleased with it. They have 3 lanes in teh pool which seems to be sufficient at most times, they've installed decent hairdryers (and Ghd straighteners in the ladies), and most of the teething probs seem to be sorted. The classes are excellent (I mostly do spin and pilates) and the machines are all good.

Only gripes are that they've still not fixed the wonky shower divider in the ladies - it's been like that for monhts and is quite dangerous in my opinion as if you lean on it without knowing you'll push through into the next door shower.

ALso, even though Tuesday night pilates is always over-subscribed, they refuse to give the lovely instructor any more classes!

And - they've booted the lovely Natal and Mel (beauty therapist and hairdresser respectively at Essenza) out of the spa bit (they're now movign to a shop in Shad Thames, and I will follow them there for my treatments!).

I think the management just needs to think a bit more about the needs of its own clients and staff (particularly Essenza and the instructors).

But other than that, I'd say it's totally excellent!

(No connection, btw, other than a member)

Kathryn
Wednesday 18 July 2007 1.09pm
It's not a problem with the girls at Essenza, more with the fact there's never anybody there in the mornings to answer the phone or offer treatments or styling.
Thursday 19 July 2007 1.58pm
Funnily enough 2 days later the shower partition is mysteriously fixed - result!!
Friday 20 July 2007 7.54am
The recent string of comments on 37 Degrees is interesting because they contradict my experience. Having been one of the first members of the gym and one of its greatest supporters I have been shocked by the recent change in approach by the management, which seems to be focused on cost cutting to the detriment of service. The number of classes now on offer have been cut by a third and the range of options has been drastically reduced. More importantly, the best instructors have either left or are leaving.

I have a personal training contract, paid for in advance, and nobody from the gym has had the courtesy to call me to tell me that my personal trainer had left. So far, I have received no response from the manager to my request for a meeting to discuss the situation.

The rummblings in the changing rooms suggest that many members are not happy with the recent changes to the reduction of classes and the loss of good instructors.
Tuesday 24 July 2007 6.58pm
Totally agree with DiMack, the lack of classes on the new timetable is silly - especially complete lack of any lunch time boxing and cancellation of ALL kick boxing classes. Makes you wonder why they bothered repairing the boxing ring ... but then that wasn't done properly either!

The majority of classes left seem to be the large dance/aerobic classes - there's no doubt it's purely a cost cutting exercise... several staff and not just PTs have already confirmed that's the case.

It gets better though... in the e-mail they sent to members today it says they're now introducing charges if you fail to attend classes! Considering very few people bother to book and just turn up at random it looks like only the regular attenders will be penalised :-o
Wednesday 25 July 2007 8.49am
I didn't realise they'd changed the timetable whne I last posted - just looked at it, and although I'm pleased they've kept Tuesday night pilates it does look suspiciously bare... And as a local, the weekend classes are practically non-existent- hope they sort it out!
Wednesday 25 July 2007 9.49am
37 Degrees is going down the toilet. I thought I was joining a gym with a difference but it's turning into another run-of-the-mill, over-hyped, mediocre gym.

When it first opened in May 2006 you could forgive 37's teething problems because they were proactive and eager to put things right, but the new management is cut from a totally different cloth. Most of my favourite classes have disappeared from the timetable, and the fact that they have cut staff salaries and hours twice this year proves they're on a cost-cutting exercise. Add to that the recent threat of charging us if we don't turn up for pre-booked classes, and the whole place becomes more trouble than it's worth. Frankly, if the timetable doesn't change, it's not worth my while going anymore. I'll give it until September and if things haven't changed, I'll call time.

They sacked Essenza the beauty people because they want to bring the service in house (they did that with the food counter and now it's very poor).
Current: 8 of 33

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions