London SE1 community website

37 degrees gym

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 33
PKM
Wednesday 25 July 2007 11.39am
I'm really disappointed by the weekend class timetable too. They seem to organise classes based on convenience for themselves rather than providing a flexible and varied offering to us. Surely the timetable should change based on customer demand and feedback. The Saturday body pump class has changed from 12pm to 10.15am with no explanation as to why? Did the regular attendees request this? Otherwise its a bit of a major time shift to make isn't it? Especially if classes then peter out and there's nothing after about midday.

I joined 37 degrees because I thought it was going to be up to Holmes Place standards (the prices are!)but with the convenience of location for me. But its not really there yet...
Wednesday 25 July 2007 2.16pm
the change in class timtable is due to a change in management of this part of the club..the new person in charge wants to get rid of the classes being taken by gym instructors and replace them with "expert" outsiders...heard this today from my trainer who also said the aim is to make the club "classier"!! i dont mind this if it means some decent spin classes unlike the dreary stuff that has been on offer in recent months...there is too much catering to the less able participants and not nearly enough challenge...anyone remember the guys who taught spin at holmes place barbican? (Jason friday nights...gary tuesday) ...awesome
Wednesday 25 July 2007 2.25pm
Your comment on 'expert outsiders' is interesting but it contradicts my recent experience. The most expert of 'outsiders' - Beko - was forced to walk a couple of weeks ago because most of his classes were cut without any notice to him.

This is the cause of another complaint that I have - namely I had booked a number of personal training sessions with Beko and paid up front. Nobody from the gym notified me that he was leaving and despite a number of efforts to set up a meeting with the manager to discuss the situation - and see how I can get my money back - I have received nothing but silence.

I am both astonished and outraged by their attitude to their instructors and their members.
Wednesday 25 July 2007 4.24pm
Quote:
despite a number of efforts to set up a meeting with the manager to discuss the situation - and see how I can get my money back - I have received nothing but silence

The managers seemed to be very silent with me when i asked why they had decided to overcharge me on Direct Debit for two months. no response. if they do it next month i'm cancelling and they can stick their one month notice period!

I'm really fed up with them. they are turning a potentially great gym in to a down market dump.
Wednesday 25 July 2007 7.49pm
Another thing: where are the new membership cards? Promises, promises.... I find it tedious to have to give my name each time I go, especially when I have to spell it out meticulously.
Wednesday 25 July 2007 11.18pm
longlaner wrote:
Another thing: where are the new membership cards? Promises, promises.... I find it tedious to have to give my name each time I go, especially when I have to spell it out meticulously.
hmmm what new membership cards?? i just swipe through and go as i have done since joining in feb... i find a lot of these complaints hard to understand, if you want to see a bad gym check out the chavtastic topnotch
Friday 3 August 2007 7.45pm
I was planning to join 37 degrees due to its proximity to work; do people think the club is so bad I shouldn't bother? I'm only fussy about cleanliness and attitude of staff,so advice on this would be much appreciated! thanks.
Friday 3 August 2007 8.05pm
well i for one think its good and worth joining, i think you will find not all agree!
Wednesday 8 August 2007 1.47pm
Right now I would say that the gym still has a lot to offer. It is clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I have an issue with the management who seem to have a cynical disregard for the basic principles of client communication but I have now been assured that they are pro-actively reviewing the programme of classes with a view to delivering more variety and responding to what their Member's want. I am hopeful that it will return to its original approach but wait to see.
PKM
Wednesday 8 August 2007 2.20pm
I agree with the previous comment - its a great space and generally clean and well kept. If its a convenient location for you then its worth joining. If they do review their timetable so that there is more variety in terms of classes and times it will be a great gym.
Current: 9 of 33

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions