London SE1 community website

Stopping the cyclists at More London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 20
Thursday 21 May 2009 4.19pm
Just the other day, when that main water pipe burst in Tooley Street, while crossing the road on foot (it was only a matter of seconds) I counted at least 6 pepole cycling past a big, red sign saying "Road Closed".
I felt had I stayed there for a while, I could have counted cyclist in their hundreds ignoring such an obvious sign.
Friday 22 May 2009 12.31am
Albert F wrote:
I felt had I stayed there for a while, I could have counted cyclist in their hundreds ignoring such an obvious sign.

God forbid that you should deem them to be in the wrong Albert, it would be dollars to donuts that they would ask you, "where's the harm in ignoring a road closed sign?"
Friday 22 May 2009 10.54am
I saw exactly the same thing - lots of cyclists arriving at Tower Bridge Road, seeing the big red 'road closed' sign, one side cordoned off, and the other open, and all just cycled through. It would be nice to think that at the incident they were all forced to turn round, and go back the way they'd come, but I know that all that happened was that they were forced to get off and walk a short distance on the pavement that was still open.

in answer to my previous post, the river isn't straight, and therefore, on the south side, the inside of the bend, it is often a shorter route that doesn't follow the river edge.
If you're enjoying the view, then you won't mind cycling slowly, safely, or getting off and walking. If you're getting to work, as quick as possible, the shorter route, with less pedestrians, would to most people, be the preferred route.
What's to difficult to understand about that?

no one should be allowed to jump red lights. but if it's at 4am, and there's no traffic in site, I don't think people should be penalised. If you jump a red light, and cause an accident, then it's almost certainly your fault, and that should be penalised heavily.

maybe traffic lights could be turned off at night, or during periods of known low traffic density - this would make all drivers pay more attention at the junction, and it'd save energy.
Friday 22 May 2009 10.38pm
During the Thames water works at the weekend on long lane a few weeks ago there was a steady stream of cars driving past the road closed sign at the junction of wilds rents, plus the cyclists and motor cycles. The cars had to turn around again out side archdale house, the cyclist and motor cyclist were able to go thorugh by drivingor riding on the pavement.

All of which backs up what I have been saying it is not ONLY cyclist who break the rules of the road, but some people just don't seem to want to admit that.
Saturday 23 May 2009 6.15am
Hooray for More London. I shall write them a note congratulating them. The Thames Path during the rush hour has become an unsafe route for walkers thanks to the irresponsible behaviour of the majority of the cyclists that use it. I think the whole area should have a cycling ban.
Saturday 23 May 2009 1.06pm
"...has become an unsafe route for walkers thanks to the irresponsible behaviour of the majority of the cyclists that use it."

I simply don't believe this is the case and is merely being pumped up as an issue to pursue a personal point of view As for road closed signs, as I suggest, cycling dynamics puts these situations in a different light to that of a 1.5 tonne car seeking to negotiate a damaged road surface.
Saturday 23 May 2009 2.36pm
JonR wrote:
the river isn't straight, and therefore, on the south side, the inside of the bend, it is often a shorter route that doesn't follow the river edge.
If you're enjoying the view, then you won't mind cycling slowly, safely, or getting off and walking. If you're getting to work, as quick as possible, the shorter route, with less pedestrians, would to most people, be the preferred route.

Pretty much nail on the head.
Saturday 23 May 2009 2.41pm
JonR wrote:
If you jump a red light, and cause an accident, then it's almost certainly your fault, and that should be penalised heavily.
'penalised heavily' hmmm, yes, but here's the reality... The cyclist will most likely have no insurance, thus your car/bike insurer will not seek to recover costs from them.

Thus you will loose you NCB and the insurer bumps up your premium because you've had a claim!

The most that could happen to the Cyclist is that they might get done for Dangerous/Careless cycling, which for Dangerous cycling would mean a fine of no more than 2,500 for Dangerous or 1,000 Careless. The likelihood of the MPS pursuing a charge is low... they have better things to do with their time.

It's about time cyclists started to act more responsibly, they can start by obeying Road Traffic Law. Ideally they should also have to obtain 3rd party liability insurance.

Oh and the next time you get caught jumping a red light loose the indignation, it's a 30 ticket and you deserve it.
Saturday 23 May 2009 3.01pm
Tolstoy wrote:
As for road closed signs, as I suggest, cycling dynamics puts these situations in a different light to that of a 1.5 tonne car seeking to negotiate a damaged road surface.

That's it, really, isn't it?

Cyclists consider that they are a sort of third way on the streets. Using the options open to road users, or those open to pedestrians, according to convenience (or, should I say "cycling dynamics"?)

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 23 May 2009 4.14pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:
As for road closed signs, as I suggest, cycling dynamics puts these situations in a different light to that of a 1.5 tonne car seeking to negotiate a damaged road surface.

That's it, really, isn't it?

Cyclists consider that they are a sort of third way on the streets. Using the options open to road users, or those open to pedestrians, according to convenience (or, should I say "cycling dynamics"?)

<laugh> I think you've hit the nail on the head there Ivanhoe.
Current: 10 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions