London SE1 community website

Stopping the cyclists at More London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 20
Saturday 5 August 2006 10.58pm
It's nice to see More London taking a proactive stance with cyclists who know their rights, but not their responsibilities. It would be nice if the people responsible for the stretch alongside the Oxo did something about making the cyclists obey the No Cycling rule there.
My youngest child was knocked over by a cyclist last year on the Southbank, although not seriously injured, the cyclist kept going (even faster when he see me running after him). I would be interested as to the legal liability of Landlords who do not take measures to insure the safety of all who use their land.
I think it's about time the cyclists were taken away from the riverside walkway, especially given the underused cycle lanes. I see no logic in allowing cyclists (other then small children) to use a pedestrian walkway.
Sunday 6 August 2006 2.02pm
westofbank wrote:
I think it's about time the cyclists were taken away from the riverside walkway, especially given the underused cycle lanes. I see no logic in allowing cyclists (other then small children) to use a pedestrian walkway.

Some of us - like myself - cycle for leisure, not just to get somewhere, and to be shoved away from the riverbank and onto a road would take all pleasure out of it.
Sunday 6 August 2006 8.14pm
I walk long the Queens Walkway by London Bridge in the mornings and the speed at which the cyclists go along there is extremely dangerous, even more so because - unlike in front of City Hall - the area is quite narrow with a lot of corners.
I think there needs to be a distinction made between the nostalgic view of sedate people on traditional bicycles in country lanes and the 30mph speed of racing bikes ridden along pavements/walkways, across red lights etc with little consideration for anyone else. support the idea of licence plates
Sunday 6 August 2006 8.31pm
Try Waterloo Bridge or Victoria Embankment or anywhere that does not mean that your pleasure is more important then the pedestrians enjoying a safe (free from cyclists) walk along the pedestrian section of the Thames riverside that stretches from Lambeth Bridge to Shad Thames (and the little bit beyond).
By your logic anyone should be allowed to drive what they want along the riverside.
mro
Sunday 6 August 2006 9.21pm
I've got little sympathy for cyclists along the river where it's crowded. As many people have pointed out, there just isn't enough space for them to coexist peacefully with pedestrians.

This being said, I can also understand why cyclists would be unhappy with the infrastructure in London as it is. I've paid quite a bit of attention recently to the cycle lanes on my way to work. It just doesn't make any sense: TFL is painting nice bicycle pictures on the streets where it's wide enough for them to do it and naturally enough leave it there when the street narrows down. As a cyclist, it must make you feel terribly safe to know that when things get tricky you're on your own! I suppose it's good for stats regarding the number of kilometers of cycle lanes that have been "created" in a given year, though. The absurdity does not quite stop there: they have these special spots for bicycles at the traffic light: one full row dedicated to bikes in front of the traffic. Never saw a bike on one of these, I suppose the few naive ones who tried are now dead. And finally the bike parking situation is just ridiculous, these just don't exist. Period. How hard would it be to transform a few car parking spots into bike parking spots?

All of which brings me my main point [better late than never obviously]: if the commitment from Mr. Mayor was more than rethorics, I suppose that forcing new developments on his front door to adopt a bike-friendly attitude would be somewhat natural. As such ideas like bike parkings are not completely outlandish. But I suppose he's a bit too busy reviewing the adverts that must convey how much he really cares about all this biking stuff.
Sunday 6 August 2006 11.40pm
I personally enjoy riding along the river, however I only do it when it's quiet enough for it to be perfectly safe, and do so at a speed little faster than the pedestrians.

The advance stop lines at traffic lights are useful, they do allow you to get moving a little before the traffic and mean you don't get flattened by traffic turning left.

I say this as a pedestrian, cyclist and motorist.
mro
Monday 7 August 2006 6.21am
I'm not arguing it's worth having a head start. I used to bike a lot in a previous life in another country and indeed always felt the safest thing to do was to pedal very hard as the light got green.

But ... you're not going to tell me the same benefits cannot be achieved without the very large "bike" picture in the middle of the street running across the full width of the traffic lane? Have you really seen several bikes standing side by side waiting for the light to turn green and cab driver peacefully waiting to move on? All I'm saying is that it's a bit of a show really and the policy seems oriented toward the visible if not downright ostentacious (if that's a word), without much of a desire to do the hard things that would matter more.

Worked out example: Moorgate at the junction with Ropemaker Street, going back toward SE1 [trying to make my post relevant...]. One beautiful advance stop line. And then they have these speed breakers where the street is narrowed down in a S-shape pattern (hard to describe, hopefully you see what I mean). Honestly I would feel terribly threatened having to bike that stretch of the road, with many drivers going just too fast for their own good, and clearly in that instance mine.
mro
Monday 7 August 2006 6.27am
And while I'm at it, have a look at the "cycling lane" in Chiswell street. They painted bike pictograms every 5 meters to make up for the fact they haven't done anything else and that Chiswell street is not any different from the zillion other streets in London that are not bike lanes.

Coming back closer to the SE1 home of our heart, I don't think I would feel overly protected by the bike lane in Bermondsey street.

Now don't get me wrong, it's perfectly feasible to bike around even if there are no bike lanes. Being fast and alert goes a long way toward being safe in such cases. I've spent my entire college years biking in Paris (not known for its peaceful drivers) and somehow managed to survive, even though the situation was possibly not much better at the time than it is now in London. But we did not have nice posters from the mayor "informing" us of his utter commitment to our cause
Monday 7 August 2006 1.03pm
I'm with Zappomatic. I have recently taken up cycling again to try and delay the effects of old age and really enjoy cycling along the river, however it must be done sensibly and at a speeed related to the volume of pedestrians. I think it is a great pity if More London are trying to stop this, and am happy to campaign for a solution.
ADT
Monday 7 August 2006 1.10pm
Al.W wrote:

It is a sensible query, and it's not cycle friendly:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1068

The fact that someone who foolishly left 5000 worth of bicycle sitting in central London had it stolen is hardly surprising, or relevant to the argument that the City Hall area is not cycle-friendly, in fact the fact that he chose to ride their in the first place would show the opposite...

I see no reason why the mayor can't promote cycling and keep the pedestrianised area by his office for pedestrians. Indeed, on many times I have been there the number of pedestrians has been large enough to make cyclists dangerous. Unfortunately it's hard to allow sensible sedate cyclists to ride in otherwise pedestrianised areas taking in the view and so on whilst at the same time keeping out the less sensible types who might precipitate accidents.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions