London SE1 community website

Stopping the cyclists at More London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 20
Wednesday 9 August 2006 9.32am
red_bus wrote:
Hey relax westofbank, you sound really uptight. You might find getting on a bike will make you feel happier...

Go for a nice moonlight cycle along the riverside. It might stop you posting over-broad and inflammatory posts. Being on a bike is good for the mind as well as the body. :o)

Nothing westofbank has posted is inflamatory, it is simply factually correct. Don't patronise.

Loafer
Wednesday 9 August 2006 9.47am
Whoops. Sorry loafer, wrong on both counts.

(i) inflammatory - if you look back at the thread, after it took a very reasonable turn with posts about what the problem was and what solutions might be - he came straight back with a post just venting about the 'arrogance' of cyclists.

(ii) over broad - the minority of cyclists are considerate. Really? At best unfounded. At worst not factually correct.

Instead of posting a straight rebuttal (which is I suspect what a lot of people who write repeated and angry posts really want) I thought a little humour might work.

Hey it might help you too ;o)

I am all for a wee bit more levity and more bike riding. It works for me. :o)

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
ADT
Wednesday 9 August 2006 9.48am
Jackie - there is a highway code for cyclists, as the highway code applies to all road users. It is however often not enforced for cyclists, and hence some cyclists often feel that they can ignore it, especially with paths that they feel hard done by to be excluded from.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/cyclists.htm

The general rules of the road also apply, but once again, without enforcement rules tend to get flaunted.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 9 August 2006 9.58am
There is a highway code for cyclists, Jackie. The highway code is for ALL road users.
Wednesday 9 August 2006 11.34am
We see it differently, it appears.

I think that what is clear is that you seem to want cyclists to be selective about what laws they have to abide by, which I, and many others, think is fundamentally wrong.

I do actually also go cycling for fun. Keep an eye out for me - I'm the chap who stops for red lights, says thankyou, and who drivers are always nice to.

Regards,

Loafer
Wednesday 9 August 2006 12.02pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
A late arrival on this thread....yesterday I was nearly mown down by a cylist on the pavement of London Road. He did, I must say, say sorry....but why was he THERE? I dont know why there is no "Highway code" for cyclists but I hear the Mayor is thinking of making cyclists have number plates and so on, which MIGHT help. But I agree, it's just bad manners and anti social behaviour, and we seem a long way from being able to control that.

It's doubly annoying that someone was cycling on the pavement there as there is a nicely signposted route down Keyworth Street for cyclists to avoid London Road and the roundabout, complete with traffic signals for cyclists to make their way across busy roads and into backstreets.
Wednesday 9 August 2006 3.31pm
I used to cycle for fun as well and I have teenage children that still do. Does that me give the necessary credentials to make a criticism? I now choose to walk as my partner is disabled.
There is one inescapable fact that a number of cyclists are unwilling (or incapable) of accepting, which is, that pedestrian areas are for pedestrians.
It is also quite ludicrous that this needs to be explained or justified.
JSG
Thursday 10 August 2006 3.48pm
Here's my two-pence worth (I drive, cycle, walk, stagger and take all sorts of public transport including helicopter)

Rather than getting into debates along the lines of all cyclists are evil rule breakers, and all drivers are destroying the planet... I think it might be more interesting to think about why cyclists go through red lights, or cycle along footpaths.

I think that part of the problem is a 'category error' in that cyclists, who move under their own efforts, think of themselves more like pedestrians and less like (motor) vehicles.

That is why I/they break rules that seem 'un-necessary' just as pedestrians do - when did anyone (not German) wait at a pelican crossing with no traffic around?

Did you know that it is illegal (I think) to cross the road within the zig-zags of a zebra crossing, unless not actually on the crossing itself.

The second reason is that to be human is to cut corners, take the shortest easiest route and maximise personal and 'small group' advantage. that is what the pressure of evolution has selected us 'winners' for.

Jim
SG
Friday 11 August 2006 9.23am
I have regularly cycled between Butler's Wharf and Waterloo along the river for the past 18 months. When I saw signs prohibiting cycling through More London go up about a year ago, I called the phone number on the sign to query this. My main objection was that at the time, the Mayor had regular tv adverts promoting cycling, which showed cyclists travelling in front of City Hall. I was told over the phone that I was allowed to use More London as a "through route" on my bike, and that the signs were meant to deter kids from hanging about on their bikes, riding around the area and causing a nuisance.
If More London have now changed their tack, they should put up more visible signs instead of accosting cyclists on their way to/from work...
Friday 11 August 2006 9.27am
It is interesting to note the differene in attitude to cyclists between More London and their competitors downstream at Canary Wharf (both private land), who are very accommodating and indeed welcoming of cyclists with plenty of places to park bikes. It can be done, perhaps they should talk.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions