London SE1 community website

Stopping the cyclists at More London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 20
Thursday 21 May 2009 9.08am
There are several narrow streets, one back from the Thames, which have very little vehicular and pedestrian traffic, which are ideal for cyclists. Maybe some of these should be made 'cycle only', or cycle routes, with vehicular access to buildings but not through roads.
Thursday 21 May 2009 9.13am
This thread is exposing the flaws in the current system of law enforcement. There are many laws that are clearly out of step with public opinion or make sense only in the nanny state in which some would like us to exist. If the way is clear for a cyclist to ride along a path, he or she should be free to decide they are safe to themselves and other road users to do just that. If they cause an accident then laws should exist for that eventuality. The same argument applies to the draconian use of speed cameras and cctv sourced fines, these are levied often when there are no safety issues involved at all. 40 mph on an empty city dual carriage way at night, illegal, dropping off passenger on an empty street covered by a red route camera, illegal, driving in an empty bus lane, illegal.

Is there no place in today's society for individual responsibility?
ADT
Thursday 21 May 2009 10.34am
I don't agree with all the laws that you mention above, but if I am caught breaking these laws you won't find me making a fuss in the same way that some cyclists seem to feel they must do.
Thursday 21 May 2009 11.02am
ADT wrote:
I don't agree with all the laws that you mention above, but if I am caught breaking these laws you won't find me making a fuss in the same way that some cyclists seem to feel they must do.

Aye, and there's the rub ADT, cyclists have been ignoring any rule of the road that they don't agree with, AND getting away with it, for so long now that they probably reason that they are untouchable.
The fault lies in the lack of law enforcement.
Thursday 21 May 2009 12.05pm
Tom, could you please try hard to avoid this sort of generalisation? I personally feel it is inflammatory and doesn't generate any light.

Some cyclists (see link here) are actually actively campaigning for responsible behaviour (and monitoring how many are not.) To quote the Southwark Cyclists group "reckless cycling here by a minority is a problem for all that we need to measure, and stop. It's about education and cooperation, not bans. If yobs on bikes still spoil it, catch them."

They suggest "Much better signs are needed to say it's shared use and to ask, for example, quicker cyclists to use other routes - and for all to walk when it's really packed."

The legal position about cycling along the riverside is actually much more opaque than the Thames Riverpath website suggests - much of it driven by bye-laws that can apply to very small sections of route.
Thursday 21 May 2009 12.16pm
JonR wrote:
There are several narrow streets, one back from the Thames, which have very little vehicular and pedestrian traffic, which are ideal for cyclists. Maybe some of these should be made 'cycle only', or cycle routes, with vehicular access to buildings but not through roads.

That might be so but some cyclist cycle for pleasure and the riverside is generally more pleasant than roads. Those who are not riding for pleasure often want to get from A to B by the shortest route and don't want to cycle a route that takes them too far out of the way.

As for law enforcement etc, I am with luke on this one, stop tarring all cyclist with the same brush. and lets see motorist that jump red lights or speak on mobile phones (not hands free) whilst driving, something i see most days enforced too. It's not just cyclists that flaunt the rules of the road.
ADT
Thursday 21 May 2009 2.21pm
Luke wrote:
Tom, could you please try hard to avoid this sort of generalisation? I personally feel it is inflammatory and doesn't generate any light.

I read Tom's post as being in the same spirit as mine - i.e. referring to some cyclists, not all. I don't think anyone is trying to say that all cyclists are at fault. Unfortunately a good cyclist is less noticeable than an idiotic one, so other road users will always remember more of the bad behaviour than the good.
Thursday 21 May 2009 2.48pm
i got knocked over by a cyclist yesterday who was zooming down bermondsey street in the wrong direction. most of it is a one way street and as far as i'm aware cyclists should be obeying that rule?

anyway the girl that knocked me over didn't stop, just got up and cycled away while shouting at me!
Thursday 21 May 2009 3.17pm
ADT wrote:
Luke wrote:

I don't think anyone is trying to say that all cyclists are at fault. Unfortunately a good cyclist is less noticeable than an idiotic one, so other road users will always remember more of the bad behaviour than the good.

Perhaps Tom Pepper's post would have been more acceptable to peeved posters had he more reasonably said, "the majority of cyclists ignore the law." THAT is undeniable. It is also a given that a law abiding cyclist goes unnoticed while a lycra clad scofflaw sticks out like a sore thumb. Finally, Coffee, if you think that motor vehicle "light jumpers" (and I don't condone them one iota, they should be ticketed remorselessly), even remotely match the amount of cyclists that do it, then you must have a vivid imagination.
Thursday 21 May 2009 3.41pm
[quote Debrajoan][quote ADT] Finally, Coffee, if you think that motor vehicle "light jumpers" (and I don't condone them one iota, they should be ticketed remorselessly), even remotely match the amount of cyclists that do it, then you must have a vivid imagination.[/quote]

I didn't say that. I said that I saw motorist jump the lights, most days, not that more mororist than cyclist jump the lights. I can assure you that seeing cars jump the lights most days is not in my imagination. Go stand at the junction of Grange road and tower bridge road or Dunton road and mandella way to name just two set of lights where you will see drivers jump the lights at almost every change.

As a pedestrian, cyclist and car user, i have had near misses with both cyclists and drivers jumping lights, but it is a fact that if i am hit by one or the other i am more likley to be seriously inured by the car, so i get really annoyed when i hear comments along the line of only cyclist jump red lights. if you are going to complain about jumping lights then aim it at all road users not just one section other wise it becomes the same old cyclist versus driver or anti cyclist rant which has been done to death on this forum before.
Current: 9 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions